Mixtard 30 'just as effective'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A news story today says that:
Mixtard 30 belongs to a category of insulin that is cheaper for the NHS to buy, but, according to the latest analysis by experts, it is just as effective as the newer, more expensive generation of diabetic drugs

It might work well for some, but I bet there are thousands of people who would contest the opinion of the 'experts' that it is as good as MDI insulins, or pumps. It's another very subtle way that the press has found to say that we are using 'luxury' insulin! 🙄

The story is here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/h...rawal-will-cause-upheaval-and-extra-cost.html

I am pretty sure that if Mixtard was available in pen form as per the article sales would not decline.

Isn't it cheaper because it isn't as good as the newer insulins?

I wonder which insulin therapy the journalist and/or 'experts' would want to be able to choose between if they were diagnosed T1 next week.

Bah!

I was wondering what are the 'newer' insulins ?

ANd why aren't we on them ?

Rob

I saw another article based on this story earlier and the comparison it was drawing was between Mixtard 30 and Novomix 30, as opposed to other insulins (particularly MDI use insulins) which, although there are differences/preferences, makes the 'just as effective' statement less controversial. So it looks like that detail from the press release was left out if this article. I suppose to a reporter with less knowledge of insulins it wouldn't have seemed such an important element to include but to our 'trained eyes' it then reads 'wrong'. So I suppose more an issue around the writer of this specific piece as opposed the 'experts' in the original press release.

Mixtard 30 is getting discontiued before the year is up, so if anyones on it, I would enquire............

Its a perfectly good insulin for those who get good control on a mix, theres just not that many ppl out there...........:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back