Mixed results

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy s

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Diagnosed in May23 with an hba1c of 87
September I'd reduced this to 44. Today's results my hba1c is 38! I have been following a low carb higher fat approach but my cholestrol is only just in normal range and I need ro reduce it. I try to stick to the healthy fats so I'm not sure what to change. I do snack on full fat cheese and mixed nuts ( I weigh a portion out) I can't eat avocado! Don't know what else to do. Whist I'm thrilled with the hba1c reading ( I'm on medication though) this has taken the shine off a bit!

For some years I have been requested to take a statin.
I have asked for the numbers on the benefits of taking them. I have been told that it reduces cholesterol. I have then asked what the benefit of lowering cholesterol is, with some sort of analysis of death rates and cholesterol levels.

Still waiting.

You'd have thought that with so many people taking statins there would be some sort of incontrovertible proof of their beneficial effects, but it seems not.

I'm.hoping they don't mention this both my patents gad statins and lost them at 75 ( mum brain hemorrhage) and dad at 77 due to dialysis complications which led to a hospital admission were he caught covid and died a week later. Never saw the benefits with satins for either of them. Just meet to know what to add or exclude from my diet but they don't seem very good on practical advice!

Diagnosed in May23 with an hba1c of 87
September I'd reduced this to 44. Today's results my hba1c is 38! I have been following a low carb higher fat approach but my cholestrol is only just in normal range and I need ro reduce it. I try to stick to the healthy fats so I'm not sure what to change. I do snack on full fat cheese and mixed nuts ( I weigh a portion out) I can't eat avocado! Don't know what else to do. Whist I'm thrilled with the hba1c reading ( I'm on medication though) this has taken the shine off a bit!
Well done on getting your HbA1c down. That's a great result.
My cholesterol was 5.1 when I had my diabetes diagnosis, so marginally high, but my my DN didn't think it warranted statins. Since then I've had a Benecol with my breakfast every day, used a Benecol spread and kept my saturated fat intake below the RDA (for men) of 30g. My cholesterol was 3.85 when last measured a few weeks ago, which suggests that what I do works, for me at least. I can't think of anything else I've been doing for the last 5 years that would explain the drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back