missed period help? am 14 with type 1 diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennacee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hiya am 14 years old and i have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 1 a couple of weeks ago. i was due for my period 2 weeks ago and i still havent had it? is this normal for a diabetic to have or should i contact my nurse?
thanks, jenna.:D

Hi Jenna

Firstly, welcome to the forum, being diagnosed can be a big shock so you've come to the right place for some support from others who are in the same boat.

It's not something that is a 'symptom' of diabetes as such but as you've just been diagnosed your body will have gone through quite a stressful time in terms of first being quite unwell and then starting to get better so it's quite possible that this is the cause, as things start to settle down for you I'd imagine things will get back to normal. A lot of people loose a lot of weight before diagnosis too so if that happened to you that could be the cause. But as you're worried do mention it to your nurse, for reassurance if nothing else.

ok thankyou, yeah a understand that my body has been under stress, i will mention it to my nurse and then just watch to see if my next period comes on time🙂, very useful information on this site will recommend.
thanks.

hello and welcome to the site 🙂

Cant reaaly add to what aymes has said, but do speak with your dsn and try not to worry. We are all here to chat to when you need some support, take care xx

Hi Jenna,

Welcome to the forum. I would agree stress is a probable cause but have a chat with your nurse to ease your mind.
Always here if you need to talk

hiya am 14 years old and i have just been diagnosed with diabetes type 1 a couple of weeks ago. i was due for my period 2 weeks ago and i still havent had it? is this normal for a diabetic to have or should i contact my nurse?
thanks, jenna.:D

Hi Jenna , try not to worry too much 🙂 I was also told by my Diabetes Consultant (when I had one) when I went on Insulin that Glucose levels can effect periods and even temporaraly stop them for a while . Im sure once your body has had time to recover everything will be back to normal . Enjoy the freedom while it lasts 🙂 If you ever need to chat feel free to Pm me or I am on MSN .

HI and welcome Jenna , I dont have period for upto 4 weeks at a time but that has gone on since birth if my son I just take it in my stride now im so used to it , x im pleased you have found this site we are all really good people xx

Hi and welcome to the forum. can't add too much to advice already given. I know a number of teenage girls who get worried if the miss a period. Missing periods is quite normal, and there are a number of reasons why they get missed, not jus because of the diabetes.

Chat to your DSN or the practice nurse at the doctors surgery, or if there is one at school the nurse there.

You are not alone, and we are all here and will help when we can.

Hi Jenna

Hope you've been able to see your nurse and ask about missed period, by now? It's always worth mentioning a missed period to a health professional as soon as possible, regardless of having diabetes or not - just in case any of your friends ever tell you about their missed periods. When I was a teenager, my mum impressed that on me and my younger sister, not because she thought I'd ever need to know, but because she was a family planning nurse and thought friends might approach us.

Hi Jenna ...

Can I just second what copepod has said ... Please inform your dsn or other nurse ...

Also what the other ladies have said is spot on ... stress can affect your cycle no end ... You may also be going through a phase of irregular periods .. which is common at your age ... as I went through the same ... it also could be due to how ling you have been having periods ... the first 12 mths of starting you can be very erratic ...

Heidi
xx🙂

Hi Jenna,

Welcome to the site. It's probably down to stress. Developing diabetes and diagnosis is a hugely stressful time both mentally and physically, it could well have caused what you've said. If you want to use MSN to chat to me feel free to PM me.

Tom

Hi Jenna ...

Also meant to say welcome to the forum ... :D

I'm also mam to Nathan aged 14, diagnosed 2 and a half years ago Type 1 ... If you ever need to chat etc .. please pm me

Heidi
xx🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back