Missed my breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

mum2westiesGill

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
This morning after doing my waking test at 7:14 I clearly needed my sleep and woke up at 12:30pm so missed out on having my breakfast. Missing one of my 3 meals a day is something which worries me. Maybe it's because I worry about getting my 3 mealtime boluses in and having said this I've read time and time again that on mdi you don't HAVE to have your 3 meals a day so why don't I learn!
Anyway at 12:41 my BG was 6.4 so nicely in my target range.

Hi Gill
No need to worry, as a night worker I usually end up have 4 meals on a Monday as I'm up most of the day and all of the night, so Breakfast,Lunch, Dinner and an overnight meal. So 4 boluses. But on a Saturday where I get up around lunchtime I only have 2 meals , Breakfast and an evening meal, so just 2 boluses.
Kind regards
Martin

Hi Gill
No need to worry, as a night worker I usually end up have 4 meals on a Monday as I'm up most of the day and all of the night, so Breakfast,Lunch, Dinner and an overnight meal. So 4 boluses. But on a Saturday where I get up around lunchtime I only have 2 meals , Breakfast and an evening meal, so just 2 boluses.
Kind regards
Martin
Thank you so much @Martin62

Yes you answered your own question - there’s no rule that says how many injections you have to have in a day! 3 meals a day is considered a healthy rule but it doesn’t suit everyone and sometimes other things like extra sleep get in the way. As long as you remember to inject when you do eat, and always take your basal, then you can’t go far wrong.

Just think of it as an impromptu basal test - if you were nicely in range then presumably your basal dose is good at the moment 🙂

I only eat twice on Sundays. I have a full English and it takes me through to tea time. So one less bolus jab and no Creon. Win win in my opinion. 🙂

I rarely eat breakfast. So long as your basal is keeping you level you can eat when you want, or not if you don't want.

You can skip any meal you want without worrying, in fact if you were basal testing you would be told you have to miss meals! It’s no different.

An unintentional basal test Gill!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back