Missed basal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Saturday morning I forgot to take my basal dose, only realised yesterday morning via my pen read out, took yesterday's and this morning's as usual but noticed yesterday and this morning's readings are taking a lot longer to come down, bit concerned as I thought I finally got my basal dosage sorted as my readings lately have been good , could this be the effects of a missed tresiba dose...cheers

How big is your daily basal dose?

In theory missing a dose ought not to be too much of a problem. One dose lasts c.40 hrs, so almost 2 days AND since the principle is to use your bolus, exercise or food to cover those periods of a 24hr day when Tresiba is not providing great cover you ought to be able to just manage the day of a missed dose by that bolus, food or exercise alternatives.

Now you've restarted, Tresiba you might need 2 days to rebuild your background 'constant', so again consider focusing on extra exercise robust bolus doses and perhaps portion control. Don't let this seem alarming to you; use your CGM and it's alerts to keep you informed then respond as necessary. It should just need some extra temporary diligence; you've got the tools and your increasing knowledge. I have a daily alarm set on my phone specifically for my Tresiba and switch it to snooze and remind me every few minutes - only turning it off after I've taken my Tresiba. Hopefully you'll get back to normal tomorrow.

I think you’ve done just the right thing by just carrying on having your next doses on time. @Charl

Tresiba’s long action might have meant that some of the ‘support’ that dose would have given under your other doses might have been missing - so I guess it’s not that surprising that your levels have been a bit off.

I’d imagine things will start to settle back down again pretty soon now as the missing dose would have been out of your system anyway.

Saturday morning I forgot to take my basal dose, only realised yesterday morning via my pen read out, took yesterday's and this morning's as usual but noticed yesterday and this morning's readings are taking a lot longer to come down, bit concerned as I thought I finally got my basal dosage sorted as my readings lately have been good , could this be the effects of a missed tresiba dose...cheers
Yeah I’d give it a couple more days and things should hopefully settle down again.

What I’ve found with messing up MDI basal is it does need pulling in line with the odd correction dose from fast acting insulin too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back