Miss England finalist, 19, almost fell into a diabetic coma and died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A diabetic Miss England finalist has revealed how the insulin pump that changed her life looked set to end it when it left her with ketoacidosis.
Beauty queen Karla Fitzpatrick was in danger of slipping into a diabetic coma when the iPhone-sized device stopped working properly.

The 19-year-old, from Coventry, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was seven years-old and has come to rely on an insulin pump to regulate her blood sugar levels.

The pump attached to Miss Fitzpatrick's leg slowly drips feed insulin into her body at a steady rate and means she doesn?t need to inject herself or test her blood sugar levels throughout the day.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...arla-Fitzpatrick-fell-diabetic-coma-died.html

I'd be very surprised if she doesn't need to test herself 😱 🙄

She's been using a pump for 9 years and never had a canula fail?

Even though I've never got as far as actual DKA, I rather doubt she wasn't allowed to drink anything somehow - what's the way to flush ketones out, folks ?

Or perhaps being a Booty Queen, she won't drink anything as common as Corporation Pop ?

I've actually met two of the diabetes consultants and one of the DSNs at Geo Eliot, even though I attend the Coventry Univ Hosp - because they do various stuff for the Nuneaton branch of DUK which I often attend and should think they must be cringing with disbelief at al the inaccuracies there.

If I was her - I'd be ashamed to attend the clinic after THAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back