Misdiagnosis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurenNicole

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
Recently, it appears Metformin is no longer working for me. Could this be a sign of misdiagnosis? Could I have another type of diabetes? I've only been on it a year and am 29 yo for background.

There are lots of variables with type 2 and metformin is a limited tool if not coupled with changes to diet and exercise. It may be that you do have a different type of diabetes though so a chat with the GP about what other tests were done (c-peptide etc) and what your current HBA1C is will give you more answers. Either way there are other treatments you can try and please don’t get disheartened that metformin isn’t cutting it.

Nice to see you posting again @LaurenNicole

Certainly some people are initially thought to be one type, but later discover they have a different flavour of diabetes.

The forum has a pretty good nose based on what new members say about their journey into diabetes. Some common flags that can raise question marks:

Being normal weight or underweight at diagnosis
Rapid onset of symptoms
Unintentional weight loss before Dx
Starting with a very high HbA1c that came on rapidly
Testing positive for ketones
A person being late 20s early 30s

Of course diabetes is a tricksy minx, and does like to confuse things by having some versions (like LADA) that develop slowly and look like one type to start with before the big reveal. And also being able to develop any type at any age doesn’t help!

I’m not sure if your previous experience of ED may confuse matters too?

Have you made changes to your menu alongside the metformin? When are you due a follow-up HbA1c?

Hi @LaurenNicole, it is a possibility as the assumption seems to be T2 if presenting with symptoms as an adult, unless you have very typical T1 symptoms that is, such as sudden, unexplained weight loss, high HbA1c, ketones, etc. This is probably not a bad assumption as by the far the majority of people with diabetes will be T2 - what’s the old medical saying : “if you hear hoof beats, suspect a horse, not a zebra”.

I was initially diagnosed as T2 at age 42 and Metformin did nothing to help me at all, the GP may have suspected it wasn’t T2 and very soon I was on insulin and taken off Metformin altogether. I eventually had a GAD test but it was inconclusive at this stage and it wasn’t until last year (20 years later!) that they changed my diagnosis to T1. However, I had been treated as T1 pretty much from the start so other than access to CGM it didn’t really affect things much.

However, as with everything D, there are loads of variables at play. If Metformin isn’t working for you then I would suggest you speak with your GP and explore other options and tests to make sure you are getting the right treatment for you.

Thanks everyone. I just think it's really odd that it seems Metformin has stopped working after I've only been on it for a short time. Hbac1 had gone down to 52 six months ago and now it's back at 80. I started using the free trial of freestyle libre yesterday and my sugars have not been below 15 despite having gone up to 4 Metformin a day from 3 so not good at all. Diet wise it's a tricky one. I had an eating disorder (bulemia) and the only way I found to stop it was intuitive eating. I'm still trying to do that. I'd say I don't eat enough veggies but I try. I eat carbs, meat and other proteins. I have chocolate when I feel like it, which isn't too often. I find if I try to restrict it brings back binging behaviour so it's counterproductive. My next hbac1 is in June. I've contacted my doctor's to ask if we should think of a different plan and they said they will get back to me this afternoon. I'm also struggling with depression around my diagnosis at the moment.

Thanks everyone. I just think it's really odd that it seems Metformin has stopped working after I've only been on it for a short time. Hbac1 had gone down to 52 six months ago and now it's back at 80. I started using the free trial of freestyle libre yesterday and my sugars have not been below 15 despite having gone up to 4 Metformin a day from 3 so not good at all. Diet wise it's a tricky one. I had an eating disorder (bulemia) and the only way I found to stop it was intuitive eating. I'm still trying to do that. I'd say I don't eat enough veggies but I try. I eat carbs, meat and other proteins. I have chocolate when I feel like it, which isn't too often. I find if I try to restrict it brings back binging behaviour so it's counterproductive. My next hbac1 is in June. I've contacted my doctor's to ask if we should think of a different plan and they said they will get back to me this afternoon. I'm also struggling with depression around my diagnosis at the moment.
Hi @LaurenNicole. How did you get on with the doctor’s appointment? I hope they are going to offer you some further tests (like the GAD and c-peptide) as well as psychological help? I really identify with what you are saying about the depression about the diagnosis, and also about the stress of all the detailed attention on food choices that comes with the diagnosis - I have found it really hard at times, since my diagnosis 7 months ago, so I can really see how tricky it would be to manage when you have previous experience of an ED. I’m really grateful I could access some psychological therapy to help me get through the early months (alongside some other life challenges). I hope you get some support with things soon. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back