Misdiagnosed due to a clerical error

Status
Not open for further replies.

J M Hood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was classified as a Type 2 diabetic 25 years ago. In 2015 a clerical error put a 1 were a 2 should be. I was then treated as a type 1 diabetic for the next 5 Years. Of course my treatment didn't work. I got my medical records and found when this happened (Sci diabetes six monthly review). I believed that if I presented the evidence to the NHS GGC Board the mistake would be acknowledged and rectified. Not a chance The Board, and Consultants, my GP, Sci-diabetes, My Diabetes My Way, The information Commissioners Office and the Ombudsman refused to even acknowledge the evidence that I presented to them. The Board and Consultants In an attempt to cover up their mistake invented stories. They even invented the scenario were a C-peptide proved I was a Type 1. However this test was done 3 years after the clerical error. It proved to be a false negative. I took my evidence to another hospital and after two blood tests I was reconfirmed as a Type 2 diabetic. Has anyone else been wrongly diagnosed due to a clerical ?. If you are wondering why your treatment isn't working check your medical records. You might get a surprise.

I assume when the error was made you were put on to insulin? Which I wouldn't say "my treatment didn't work because I was really Type 2" as we have many insulin dependant Type 2 members on the forum, most cases on the forum are misdiagnosis of Type 2 because of the age of the patient, many doctors thinking that because the patient is older they can't possibly be Type 1, of course, treatment might seem to work for a short period but it doesn't long term and many here have been through that but I've never seen a situation like yours on here

Are you based in Scotland then? As you mention My Diabetes My Way

What happened with your control etc whilst you were being treated as a Type 1? Sorry I know none of my rambling is in any way helpful or anything but I am intrigued xx

Welcome to the forum

Like @Kaylz, I was surprised to read that the Type 1 treatment (which can only be insulin) did not work but glad to read that you have the correct diagnosis now, with, I assume, treatment which is lowering your blood sugar levels.

I too have only read about a misdiagnosis of type 2 which later turned out to be Type 1. There seems to still be a myth that Type 1 is a childhood disease so some more mature newbies to the D-team are assumed the only reason their blood sugar levels are high is because they are eating the wrong things rather than because they have the wrong treatment.

Anyway, I am rambling - I just wanted to welcome you to the forum and wish you well.

Welcome to the forum @J M Hood

Glad you have managed to get an accurate classification and appropriate treatment plan in the end.

This is a bit confusing, so you just were misdiagnosed one day and started on insulin? Why didn’t insulin work for you, did you adjust the doses to suit your diet and needs etc? What treatment are you on now instead?

Honestly I’d be happy to be misdiagnosed T1! It does open some doors, and if you need insulin anyway then may as well have the extra possibilities.

Hi and welcome from me too.

I too would be interested to know more about your story and the Type 1 treatment you were prescribed and the medication you are currently on and how you are managing with it?
It certainly is a very unusual case (normally the other way around and Type 1s are misdiagnosed as Type 2.... myself included) and I am sure we would all be intrigued to know more.

Hi @J M Hood 🙂 The interesting thing to me was that this clerical error happened after you’d been Type 2 for 25 years. I would think that’s very unusual as misdiagnoses or clerical errors usually happen early on.

I know you’re probably thinking we’re a nosey bunch, but I’d be interested to hear a little more too about how your treatment changed. Were you suddenly put on insulin? Were your Type 2 meds suddenly stopped?

Apart from our interest, some more details might be useful for anyone else who suspects a similar situation.

Interesting. I too was mis diagnosed as a T1. Given insuling injections and metformin. All hell broke loose until I stopped all diabetic meds some weeks later (It was obvious to me, looking at the data, that something was very very wrong). They did rediagnose me as a T2 months later but didn't bother to tell me !!! I found out by accident when talking to the GP on the phone some months later.

Wonderful care from the NHS. Sometimes it is very good and sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back