Minor disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in my morning fog I managed to drop my BG meter in the toilet. Apparently this stops it working! Who knew!
Anyone else else have any silly blunders?
Oh no!

Shake out as much water as you can & if you have some, place it in a container of rice in the airing cupboard. You might get lucky. That's assuming it was just water...

Oops!

Diabetes is just one opportu ity for disaster after another, eh?!

So in my morning fog I managed to drop my BG meter in the toilet. Apparently this stops it working! Who knew!
Anyone else else have any silly blunders?
I wouldn’t test bg in the bathroom, it’s not the most hygienic of places to do that.

I once injected my morning basal dose from my quick acting pen. I need 22 units of basal insulin but just 4 of bolus insulin and I use Fiasp which is one of the fastest acting bolus insulins. I normally follow a low carb way of eating so don't have much high carb food in the house other than jelly babies for hypos. It was a bit of a race against time to get the carbs into me and not lose track of how much I had had and how much more I needed to mop up that much insulin, and the panic was very real as 22 units of Fiasp could easily kill me and I live on my own.... and of course the panic caused me to feel sick which made eating sweet stuff more challenging. Thankfully, after the initial panic, I raked around in the kitchen cupboards and found bits and bobs with carbs and sat down with them and documented everything I ate and tallied it up as I went along, so I knew how much I had had and how much more I had to go. The panic is by far the worst and I would manage much better another time, if it happened again, but it felt incredibly scary at the time. Thankfully I realised what I had done straight away as I was putting my pen back in the case, that it was the wrong colour. It would have been much, much more dangerous if I hadn't noticed until levels started to drop as I am not sure I would have had time to pull myself together and think logically, before I lost consciousness. You live and learn.... if you are lucky... and I was that day!!

You could try contacting the manufacturer of your BG meter and ask if they will replace it, especially if it was reasonably new. They make most of their money from the test strips so it is in their interests for you to keep using their meter, so they might just replace it free, even though it was obviously your fault. If it was a Tee2 by Spirit Healthcare, I think they can be quite accommodating. No harm in asking!

In the early days of my insulin journey I arrived home from a visit 60 miles away & realised I'd left my insulin behind. 🙄
years ago I did the same on a camping holiday to France only realised on arrival at the camp site..... fun and games. I would not recommend.

I once threw my meter in the sharps bin instead of my used strip and needles! I then proceeded to put my hand in to retrieve it, of course I got it stuck! Lots of butter later I got my hand out but then had to tip everything out of the sharps bin to get the meter out. I’m always given a 7 litre bin and it was almost full. o_O
I suppose it could have been worse, I might have ended up in A&E with a huge yellow sharps bin stuck on the end of my arm! :rofl:

In the early days of my insulin journey I arrived home from a visit 60 miles away & realised I'd left my insulin behind. 🙄
My husband and I went on holiday recently to Rhodes. Our first day we took a trip to Rhodes Town on the bus and I took my insulin pen with me, but forgot to take the needles. The second bus trip to Rhodes Town I remembered the needles, but forgot to take the insulin 😳

I have spare BG Meters. One in the Living room. One in the bedroom and one in my 'Diabetes Man Bag' in the car.

I have spare BG Meters. One in the Living room. One in the bedroom and one in my 'Diabetes Man Bag' in the car.
Take care using different meters.
They are likely to be calibrated differently so you cannot compare the results from one with another.

I was advised by my DN not to keep BG meter in the car as it can get very hot and very cold and may not work properly. I was bummed as I could do with one in the car, so I have to carry it with me at all times.

I was advised by my DN not to keep BG meter in the car as it can get very hot and very cold and may not work properly. I was bummed as I could do with one in the car, so I have to carry it with me at all times.
It depends whereabouts in the car you put it. I went to the US a few years ago, and had to leave my insulin, spare meter, etc in the car in 100 F degree heat, I buried it in the depths of the luggage in the boot, and it was fine.

I left some strips in the glove box once and forgot about them. When I realised and tried to use them, the results were… interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back