Mini-med 780G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning @Juss from another 780 user.

Firstly it all takes a bit of getting used to at the start but I know that I found it worth the effort.
It DOES GET EASIER

A few questions to help us help you.
Is this your first pump?
Are you using the Guardian 4 sensor with it?

Are you able to say what it is that seems so overwhelming at present: setting basal rates, carb counting, the alarms, ….

There is a wealth of experience to tap into on here. Just ask any questions and know that nothing is considered silly on here.

Good morning @Juss from another 780 user.

Firstly it all takes a bit of getting used to at the start but I know that I found it worth the effort.
It DOES GET EASIER

A few questions to help us help you.
Is this your first pump?
Are you using the Guardian 4 sensor with it?

Are you able to say what it is that seems so overwhelming at present: setting basal rates, carb counting, the alarms, ….

There is a wealth of experience to tap into on here. Just ask any questions and know that nothing is considered silly on here.
Hey, thanx so much for getting back to me!

This is my first pump and no I’m using Freestyle Libre 2 and my Accu check meter. I think what I’m finding overwhelming is the amount of information I need to know for this meter and also the changing of this every 3 days.

Hi, I recently started the 780G as well. On it for 8 days and loving it. This is not my first experience with a pump, so it wasn’t as overwhelming for me. I can imagine it’s a big change, especially with infusion sets etc.

When you finally nail down the numbers and set it up in a way that suits you, it is fantastic. You’ll find the only thinking you will need to do is to count carbs and enter this into the pump. Also, the future is looking bright with regard to closed looping. I can image in the next year or so, the sensors needed for this will be available for free on the NHS. This will take away so much of the burden. If you get time, research these things and it’ll amaze you what is in the pipeline.

I have found my DSN a great help and support. Before I left, we had worked out my carb ratios and Basel insulin. We have adjusted as needed. Don’t be scared to reach out for support in that regard. Be open and honest. If there is a day where you fall off the waggon, that’s ok.

I wish you all the best as you begin this journey.

Hey, thanx so much for getting back to me!

This is my first pump and no I’m using Freestyle Libre 2 and my Accu check meter. I think what I’m finding overwhelming is the amount of information I need to know for this meter and also the changing of this every 3 days.
That was how I used my previous pump.

As @Mafue123 has said once you have set the pump to match what you need there will be a lot less to do than on injections.

With regard to changing your cannula and infusion set, I know that this can seem fiddly to start with, but think of it as one injection every 3 days. Is it the filling of the infusion set or the insertion of the cannula that is more of an Issue. I know that I religiously followed the step by step instructions on the pump at first. You have plenty of time and if the screen goes blank just press your middle button again and it will return to the screen of instructions.

Which cannula have you chosen to use?there are alternatives if you find the one you are using difficult, but perhaps stick with it for a few changes. If it is still a problem, contact your DSN who may have a few different ones that you could try.

It takes time to get the hourly basal rates set up to match your needs, and your Libre will help you with this. Has your DSN explained how to change these. They often start you off on a fixed amount per hour as a starter then gradually alter it. If you need more advice on this ask them to explain it again. They will want you to be able to make these adjustments, and should help you do this.

Once you are set up all you need to enter at each meal is your BG and your carbs. The pump will work out the insulin dose you need, check in with you that you are happy with that, and then deliver once you agree.

There are lots of other things on your pump that you can use, but perhaps just start with the basics. That will soon become a lot easier, and then you can investigate the other adjustments as when you are ready.

Hi, I recently started the 780G as well. On it for 8 days and loving it. This is not my first experience with a pump, so it wasn’t as overwhelming for me. I can imagine it’s a big change, especially with infusion sets etc.

When you finally nail down the numbers and set it up in a way that suits you, it is fantastic. You’ll find the only thinking you will need to do is to count carbs and enter this into the pump. Also, the future is looking bright with regard to closed looping. I can image in the next year or so, the sensors needed for this will be available for free on the NHS. This will take away so much of the burden. If you get time, research these things and it’ll amaze you what is in the pipeline.

I have found my DSN a great help and support. Before I left, we had worked out my carb ratios and Basel insulin. We have adjusted as needed. Don’t be scared to reach out for support in that regard. Be open and honest. If there is a day where you fall off the waggon, that’s ok.

I wish you all the best as you begin this journey.
Hey,

Thank you for this ! I think once I speak to my doctors/nurses then I will be able to understand further what to do because I think I’ve been so used to injecting with insulin and now I have to get used to a pump. I’m more optimistic about this now because I’m taking it slow x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back