Mini Fridges

Status
Not open for further replies.
have one and wouldn't put insulin near it.
Mine ices up after a couple of days so wouldn't trust it not to damage / freeze the insulin.

if any I would look more at the beer fridge size ones with proper thermostat controls. (tabletop fridge type ones but not ones that can only hold like 6 cans of coke)

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no experience of them.
In 20 years of diabetes with lots of travel (including to some very hot countries) I have never needed to store my insulin in a mini fridge. It is fine at room temperature for up to 30 days. When I am spending long periods outside in hotter temperatures, I use Frio wallets.
What is your reason for needing one?

Thanks, I was just thinking of separating my insulin from the contents of the main fridge where the temperature can fluctuate and then from time to time my wife does a defrost so I then have to it in a wallet

Thanks, I was just thinking of separating my insulin from the contents of the main fridge where the temperature can fluctuate and then from time to time my wife does a defrost so I then have to it in a wallet

When we had to defrost fridge I just put boxes of insulin in plastic bag with some frozen peas or ice packs, it kept it cool till fridge was back up & running.

If you think the temp in your fridge fluctuates, you can put insulin in an insulated box in fridge, or even a vaccum flask, but i don't think its really necessary. I keep mine in the door egg compartment were its least likly to get icy. You could use a vaccum flask for defrosts

same with tdm...mine lives in the door too 🙂

Unless a fridge defrost takes longer than a day, I wouldn't worry about it. It will remain cool enough for that time. If you are concerned, you can keep it insulated as you would any fridge contents. It's not like freezer contents that can thaw.

If you fridge temperature fluctuates that much that it would affect your insulin, it is also likely to affect your milk and meat in your fridge.

Insulin is pretty resilient as long as it doesn't freeze or get to temperatures higher than 30 degrees.

Thanks all for your help people; it's a bit of a challenge but as Churchill said ....keep buggering on!

I highly recommend a self-defrosting fridge freezer. It’s a bit more expensive but it’s a world away from the traditional ones.

If you think the temp in your fridge fluctuates, you can put insulin in an insulated box in fridge, or even a vaccum flask, but i don't think its really necessary. I keep mine in the door egg compartment were its least likly to get icy. You could use a vaccum flask for defrosts
Me too mine has lived with the eggs for over 60 years

I highly recommend a self-defrosting fridge freezer. It’s a bit more expensive but it’s a world away from the traditional ones.

We purchased a Bosch fridge freezer few years back, both sections frost free which is great feature IMHO.

Blimey @nonethewiser ! - our whatever make that fits in the space, isn't ridiculously expensive and is readily available at our nearest Curry's is the brand we buy. Current and previous ones Beko. All been self defrost for years, just have to be careful not to shove stuff that far back on the shelves it's in contact with the back of the fridge otherwise you get water on the top of it.

As fridges no longer have egg compartments in their doors, since we were never sposed to fridge eggs anyway, insulin goes on the top shelf of that door, which is a compartment with a flip-up lid on both our house f/f and the one in our motorhome.

Blimey @nonethewiser ! - our whatever make that fits in the space, isn't ridiculously expensive and is readily available at our nearest Curry's is the brand we buy. Current and previous ones Beko. All been self defrost for years, just have to be careful not to shove stuff that far back on the shelves it's in contact with the back of the fridge otherwise you get water on the top of it.

Beko have been around long time, had few different appliances made by them over the years.

We bought a Bosch dishwasher about 12 years ago, it's never once failed unlike brands before so that is why we bought a Bosch fridge freezer, think when washing machine & tumble dryer packs in will be replacing them with Bosch, sometimes you have to pay extra to get long lasting quality products.

One of my friend is using NUOPAIPLUS Insulin Cooler. According to her it is a reliable and convenient solution for safely storing and transporting insulin. This cooler ensures that insulin remains within the recommended temperature range, preserving its potency and effectiveness.

It's made in China, it says it weighs 0.35 ounces, says it cools at 35 degrees C lower than ambient temperature and somewhere else says it operates at 15 degrees centigrade - and they want over 300 US dollars.

They can keep it thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back