Mince Turkey (or any meat: beef is the usual; pork or lamb will work too) Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce

Lanny

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Mince Turkey (or any meat: beef is the usual; pork or lamb will work too) Mushrooms in Oyster Sauce

Serves 3 or 4
Ingredients (in average amounts: a bit less or more dosen’t matter)

400g of mince turkey (350g to 500g is fine)
1 onion diced (I use frozen diced & put in a bit less or more to the amount of meat)
250g sliced mushrooms (less or more to the amount of meat)
1 to 3 tablespoons of oyster sauce (according to the amount of meat)
Optional: 1 or 2 tablespoons of cornflour in a little cold water to form a paste (according to amount of meat)

Method

1. Brown the mince in a frying pan on high.

2. Add the mushrooms, onions & oyster sauce. Then, turn it down to medium heat & simmer until everything is cooked. The mushrooms & onions release quite a bit of thin liquid & you CAN thicken it up a bit by adding the cornflour paste. It needs to be a paste as just adding it in while the meat mixture is hot will make it clump together into lumps & not dissolve. It depends on what I serve with it: with rice the thinner sauce isn’t an issue.

3. Serve with either rice or mash potato. Even put it in an oven dish & topped with mashed potato then, heated in the oven at 200C Gas Mark 6 for about 30 minutes to brown the mash. Thickening the sauce would be better if making the potato topped pie.

I used to make this with beef, more usual, & have made it with lamb. I haven’t made it with pork, never really liked it, but, know it can work: my late mum mostly only ate pork; sometimes lamb & never ate beef. With my diet change of no red meat, no eggs & low fat due to liver problems; I changed the meat to turkey. I think it could work with chicken too but, I never see chicken ready minced but, could mince it yourself, I suppose. I haven’t tried it so, didn’t put it in the title.

ianf0ster

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Serve with either Rice or Mash Potato ? - rather you than me LOL!
How about Cauliflower rice or Cauliflower mash?

Why did you decide that liver problems were best addressed by low fat and cutting out eggs and red meat?
Is there any actual medical evidence for this weird idea? Eggs have been re-instated as possibly the most complete food you can eat. The false claims about their Cholesterol and Fat have been overturned. Similarly I have seen that some people still thing that protein is bad for your liver, but I have been unable to find any actual medical evidence of this.

As for Fat, if you have fatty liver then low Fat High Carbs is the worst thing you can do since dietary carbs are much more readily converted into body fat that dietary fat is!

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Why did you decide that liver problems were best addressed by low fat and cutting out eggs and red meat?
I would imagine that @Lanny is following advice from Drs who know details of her specific case.

The British Liver Trust advises a low fat diet with moderate protein intake -https://britishlivertrust.org.uk/information-and-support/living-with-a-liver-condition/diet-and-liver-disease/ (based largely on the Eatwell plate)