Millions with diabetes are refusing to diet or exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
MILLIONS of patients with Type 2 diabetes refuse to make the lifestyle changes that could save them from heart disease, strokes, blindness and amputations, a shock report showed yesterday.

Six out of 10 are at risk of a host of life-threatening complications because they refuse to exercise.

And half of patients increase their chances of debilitating illness or death because they do not change their diet.

The report, based on a global study, lays bare the extent of Britain?s diabetes crisis, revealing a ?clinical inertia? among both doctors and patients.

Astonishingly, it shows that 75 per cent of Type 2 patients are not concerned about the risk of complications from which they could easily die.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/447070/Millions-with-diabetes-are-refusing-to-diet-or-exercise

I wonder how many receive inappropriate (or no) advice about how to make changes to their diet, and little support or instruction in the use of self-monitoring? :( I'm sure there are very many non-compliant patients, but I do wonder how many who think they are being compliant are just accepting that the disease is 'progressive' and inevitable, and that good control eventually becomes impossible? Or being told that their HbA1c is 'fine' if it falls below 10%?

Well this is an Express article, so worse than the Daily Mail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back