Milk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I drink lactose free milk and have been totally shocked by the difference in carb content per brand. Morrisons own seem one of the better ones but Aldi seem to have piled in the sugar. Amazing how you can be caught out when you get complacent.

I drink lactose free milk and have been totally shocked by the difference in carb content per brand. Morrisons own seem one of the better ones but Aldi seem to have piled in the sugar. Amazing how you can be caught out when you get complacent.
Not good, shows we have to read anything, my dietitian warned me off lacto free cheddar due to how lactose is removed from cheese in the manufacturer process. I love the lactose free milk though, definitely helps!

Thanks for highlighting this. I use the Aldi lacto free every day (OH is intolerant) and thought they were all the same

Morrisons 3.3/100ml
Aldi 5/100ml
Arla 2.6/100ml

It'll soon add up if you use a lot of milk!

Thanks for highlighting this. I use the Aldi lacto free every day (OH is intolerant) and thought they were all the same

Morrisons 3.3/100ml
Aldi 5/100ml
Arla 2.6/100ml

I think Lidl lactose free milk is 13g a glass

Morrisons 3.3/100ml
Aldi 5/100ml
Arla 2.6/100ml

If you’re drinking a litre a day it might add up but for a splash in a coffee it’s really not going to make any difference

If you’re drinking a litre a day it might add up but for a splash in a coffee it’s really not going to make any difference

I think a regular glass is generally suggested to be about 200-250ml?

So 2.5 x 5g (per 100ml) would be 12.5g carbs in a 250ml glass, which does feel like quite a lot, but then Google suggests semi
-skimmed is in the region of 4.8g per 100ml with the lactose in it, so pretty much exactly the same.

Which probably explains why when I was first diagnosed and on ‘exchanges’ (10g of carbs), one of my ‘exchanges’ for the day was allocated for milk in coffee and tea 🙂

Yes it was, wasn't it! but there again I never bothered measuring how much milk I happened to have in drinks. Did anyone?

Yes it was, wasn't it! but there again I never bothered measuring how much milk I happened to have in drinks. Did anyone?

No! Surely not. And neither did they suggest how many cups that might be… and whether it would be different with mugs… or how milky (or otherwise) it should be.

But it certainly made an impression, and now that we have fancy coffee shops with all sorts of milky options (flat white anyone?) rather than just ‘cafe au lait’ in a big breakfast cup when holidaying in France, it certainly forewarned me about the potential BG impact of milk in drinks 🙂

One's mama brought one up to drink coffee made with milk for one's elevenses when one wasn't so busy with the washing, changing the beds or going 'up the town' to visit the electricity board to pay the bill one didn't have time to sit about and drink coffee. Yes it was only instant coffee (tinned Nescafe powder) but must be made with milk. I soon discovered I liked it well enough made with water and just a splash of milk once I not only had to pay for the milk, but also do the washing up !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back