Migraine & severe hypo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheesecake

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I had my first migraine last night and the worst hypo I’ve ever had, is there a connection?

I’ve got a Dexcom and Omnipod, turned insulin off but it still didn’t help. Vomited up the lucozade and ended up having a glucogel, first time in 18 years of diabetes. I just couldn’t get my levels up, but I had no insulin on board.

Are they linked? Is there anything else I can do for next time?

Sorry to hear that @Cheesecake Yes, migraine and hypos can be linked. During a bad migraine, the digestive system ‘switches off’. That’s why the advice is always to take a tablet at the very first sign of a migraine (because it might not be properly absorbed later). I find migraines can mean previous meals aren’t processed properly and then subsequent hypo treatments or snacks don’t work. Now, I tend to eat something as a precaution as well as taking my migraine tablet.

The Glucogel was a great idea. You can also use Dextro tablets and chew them but hold them in your cheek for a while. It can be a battle though. What Dexcom do you have? Can you set your Low alarm higher? I always do that for a buffer.

Really sorry to hear that you had such a nasty/scary experience. I used to get migraines where I got diarrhoea as well as vomiting and occasionally passed out, so it definitely can affect your digestive system. As @Inka says getting medication in as soon as you suspect one is important but obviously if this was your first you wouldn't know that. I personally find paracetamol worked great for me as long as I could get them in early and keep them down. It would still take me out of action for the day, but got me out of the critical situation in the bathroom. I tried a few prescribed migraine medications, but none worked as well as Paracetamol for me.
Thankfully, since my diabetes diagnosis and going low carb, I have only had one migraine and that was when I lost control of my low carb eating. One in 4.5 years is a miracle for me as I was averaging one severe one a month. It is one of the benefits of my diabetes diagnosis, because I never would have managed to change my diet so radically without that impetus.

It is at least fortunate that you are on a pump and can suspend basal insulin but still really scary. As @Inka says, it is important to keep in mind that you can absorb glucose through the cells in your mouth so swilling sweet stuff around in there in between vomiting can really help and when your stomach can't take anything you usually still can manage to hold it in your mouth..... plus it helps to take the horrid sourness of vomit away.

I find the pink Migraleve tablets help me a lot. They greatly reduce the nausea and the pain. I went through a spell recently of having more frequent migraines which was horrible and they started to become a real problem. That’s all reduced now, and I believe it was due to hormonal issues.

I had daily migraines which started after a viral illness, they were almost all day every day for at least 6 months but now I haven’t had one for nearly a month!

I am over cautious about medications like paracetamol because I did cause myself medication dependency headaches which can be a side effect of taking over the counter painkillers regularly.

As soon as it starts (I’m hopeless for waiting to see if it’s a bad one or not first) then I take 2 dissolvable aspirin, with caffeine (eg a strong proper coffee if not the tablets that contain it), and some sugar (traditionally this is a mini can of Coke but I find any food with carbs in eg a biscuit or some love heart sweets is enough). I then go home sick from work, lie in the dark, and use ice pack on the back of my neck, followed by a shower when I’m feeling better.

Forgot to say, I also have some prescription tablets for the nausea which I did use at first but haven’t used in a year or so now.

I also had sumatriptan for the migraines but have stopped getting those as the side effects are unpleasant and the migraines are less frequent and more manageable with dissolvable painkillers (not tablets as those aren’t always digested during a migraine) and caffeine.

Ok, it’s good to know I’m not alone and have some tips and advice!

I also have gastroparesis, so I took some paracetamol and anti-emetic, which I unfortunately vomited up. Clearly too late. I also had diarrhoea, so all the stomach things make sense.

I’ve a Dexcom 1, it’s set to 4.5, I guess I could try 5. I went from 11.2 to 3.2 in 1/2 an hour so I’m not sure if it would of helped massively.

I think I’m peri menopausal, although my bloods don’t show that.

Either that or it’s stress, which I’ve been feeling a lot lately. And all the typical not eating well as a result.

Its been a bit of a wake up call that I need to look after myself a bit better, just not sure how!

@Cheesecake I have a Dexcom G7 so I’m not sure how different the One is, but setting your Low alarm a bit higher will help a bit. I used to set my Libre Low alarm at 5.6.

That’s a big drop. Is it possible it’s something to do with your injection site? I’ve had a few where I’ve gone down very quickly. I think it’s something to do with fat/muscle redistribution as we get older. I find the perimenopause is really affecting me. It’s settled a lot with HRT though. I really recommend it.

I’ve got a pump and changed the site on Saturday so I’m not sure it’s that?

My bloods are normal for perimenopause. My GP says to speak to my diabetes consultant, my diabetes consultant says it’s my gastroparesis and prescribed a course of antibiotics. Which I didn’t take and the consultant sent a letter to my GP about “non-compliance“.

I’m 40 and suspect I won’t be listened to until I’m 45.

Just a thought...if you get in situations where you can't keep hypo treatment down, wonder if glucogen may be worth a thought?

It was in the fridge, I’ve checked the dates and one was out, so we can practice with that. Again, not needed it in 18 years. If we do use it do I have to go to hospita? (My son has buccle midazolam for seizures and if we use that we have to blue light him in, wondering if it’s the same?)

It was in the fridge, I’ve checked the dates and one was out, so we can practice with that. Again, not needed it in 18 years. If we do use it do I have to go to hospita? (My son has buccle midazolam for seizures and if we use that we have to blue light him in, wondering if it’s the same?)

I don’t think so @Cheesecake Not unless the glucagon has no effect. I can’t use it as it causes vomiting. Does the information leaflet give more details?

Don’t you still have to eat something after the glucagon to replenish your bodies supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back