Midnight phenomenon?

Alannah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so DP, we all know. Is there an equivalent for midnight? For the past couple of months I have noticed my levels rise late in the evening. I usually aim to eat around 8, pre-bolus, carb count etc, don't eat anything past 9. BG happily in range until 12, then see a spike..

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Basal issues maybe?
xx

Alannah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Basal issues maybe?
xx
hmmm.. maybe. I just looked up the profile for levemir and while I wouldn't normally take it until bedtime, might be worth bringing it forward to 10pm. Will give it a try, thanks.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hmmm.. maybe. I just looked up the profile for levemir and while I wouldn't normally take it until bedtime, might be worth bringing it forward to 10pm. Will give it a try, thanks.
I urge you to try that! Exactly my prob when I was still on MDI - moved it to taking the 'bedtime one' at 9.30 - 10pm ish, and bingo. May still need to fiddle with doses and critical timings, of course but providing you are willing to test your BG more than 'cursorily' you'll sort it.

When you get to the stage when you've fiddled with it so often - and kept your clinic posted on your travails, that bit's important! - you're fed up to the back teeth of it - ideal time to request swapping to a pump! ;):cool:

Alannah

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
update: So last night

20.23 food, with pre-bolus BG 6.8
22.20 BG 5.5, take levemir
3am BG 7.9
7.30am BG 8.2

So not 'perfect' whatever that is but so much better! 2/3units of insulin saved, and actually almost in range BG overnight. RESULT!!! Basal probably needs a bit of tweaking, but will first replicate this over a few nights to confirm this isn't a one off. Diabetes is bloody hard work, but the people on here are fabulous :) Thank you.

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
@Alannah - we only can make such suggestions cos we've - in the main - already been there and tried that in the past!

Long time since I was diagnosed, could you just remind me where it said it was easy?

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
It was issues around basal insulin that finally got me the pump.
I kept records, as suggested by @trophywench , and kept my team informed about the strategies I tried, some from them and others from the forum. Initially they refused me a pump. I asked why. I then tackled each of their points, and gathered data. 6 months later. Pump agreed. I still had to wait a while for the next pump star but well worth it. Nw I can flat line overnight on my Libre (until I find I need to tweak the basal again)

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so DP, we all know. Is there an equivalent for midnight? For the past couple of months I have noticed my levels rise late in the evening. I usually aim to eat around 8, pre-bolus, carb count etc, don't eat anything past 9. BG happily in range until 12, then see a spike..
This is the problem I am having but my levels going much higher.
What did you do? Bring the time you have it forward?

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I assume so since that was what I suggested, hence also assume 22.30 isn't Alannah's bedtime. Try it Phoebs! If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything!

PhoebeC

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I assume so since that was what I suggested, hence also assume 22.30 isn't Alannah's bedtime. Try it Phoebs! If it doesn't work you haven't lost anything!
Expect maybe another night of sleep. It was so high last night, upto 18! I was out like a log. So over it!

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well at 18, the accompanying ketones and their effect would most certainly make me worry in case I didn't wake up again. At all.

PLEASE ask for help pdq from your D clinic - this sounds too near DKA to me, to be brushed off.