Midnight bs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tdm

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm finding my blood sugars fall around bedtime.

For example, yesterday. I had my tea with my novorapid 16.30 pm and my one unit abasaglar.
Then, at 11.30p my bs went down. I mean, i dealt with it but it happens quite a lot and its a pain.
Normally i eat later so assumed it was a kick in novorapids tail

I attach my graph.

I can't see its my novo as that would have ran out about 9.30pm, and with so little basal i can't imagine it's that.

Tea was 130 g carbs quite high fat as macaroni cheese.
Do you think its related to going to bed/winding down for the night, or a sudden flurry of honeymoon activity?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231129_171433_Dexcom G6.jpg
    Screenshot_20231129_171433_Dexcom G6.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 15
A couple of more bits of info. It seems to happen 6 hours 30 min after eating/injecting novo. Only happens at night. Started to happen in earnest about a month ago. Going to bed with higher bs isn't a solution as it dips too much...i went to bed with a higher bs tonight which shows it clearer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_070432_Dexcom G6.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_070432_Dexcom G6.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 10
@Tdm I have a similar thing where the last time I inject NovoRapid is around 6pm and then between midnight and 12:30am my blood sugar will go down. I’m not going low though. My GP seemed to think the last remnants of my NovoRapid might still be active then. I don’t know whether that’s possible or not?

Thats what i thoght. Am on daphne and they suggested i go from 1 unit of basal insilin to none
..we'll see, and will let you know.
As novorapid us only supposed to last 5hr i don't think it could be that- but it could be
Oh, and heres my overlay graph...its a definite trend.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231130_162935_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130_162935_Samsung Notes.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 8
They also thought it may be related to the honeymoon period, which as we are both fairly new to t1 could be it

@Tdm yes it’s definitely a trend here too. I thought NovoRapid only lasted up to five hours, although I suppose we’re all different and it’s not completely out of the question that it lasts longer in some people... I asked my GP if it could be my body’s insulin (as some people here have suggested) and he said it’s possible, which would fit in with the honeymoon theory too! Definitely keep me updated. I might try moving my dinner/last bolus time around and see what happens. Will let you know if I do manage to do this (dinner times are pretty “set” in this house for various reasons)!

Thats one of the great things about this website...finding someone in the same situation as you. Thank you so much for sharing!

There are 2 things that suggest my own insulin production has kicked back in in my case
1. Recently i've been low overnight...bumping along and needing to eat glucose through night, hence dropping from 2 ablasaglar last week to none tonight
2. this only started being a 'thing' about a month or so ago, which suggests its not the novorapid

So maybe my pancreas is rallying.
Annoyingly, it only seems to happen for me after i've been asleep a while.

You know, diabetes would be so much easier to deal with if it let us have a full night sleep!
Perhaps we need a device that feeds us jelly babies without us having to wake...

You know, diabetes would be so much easier to deal with if it let us have a full night sleep!
Perhaps we need a device that feeds us jelly babies without us having to wake...
What, much like a fully functional human body does so well people simply don't even realise?

I've said for the last 50 years I'd settle for a torso transplant meself. Not keen on having functional female hormones again though I have to say, they were better for my skin and hair usually, it's the accompanying side effects of their main functional aspects I don't want now thanks.

Well, lowering the abasaglar seems to have worked!
No dip at all last night, and i kept level even with no basal. A little higher than i'd like but now i kmow it works can bring it down before bed. I suppose i will need basal again at some time but don't seem to need it at moment

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231201_070908_Dexcom G6.jpg
    Screenshot_20231201_070908_Dexcom G6.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 6
@Tdm that’s great!! Thanks so much for the update - I was going to ask this morning how you got on overnight. You must be so relieved to have not been woken by an alarm (hope nothing else woke you!) I think I’ve been having this “drop” since I started on insulin, although I’ve only just started wondering why it happens. If you don’t mind sharing, I’d be curious to see/hear what happens if you do bring your levels down before bed. Hope the last day of your course goes ok today. I have been following your posts with interest! 🙂

I'll let you know

Well, i was quite pleased to go down to no basal but now my bs have an upward direction on a basal test, so back to one unit...

Well, i was quite pleased to go down to no basal but now my bs have an upward direction on a basal test, so back to one unit...
Oh that’s frustrating, especially as the basal reduction seemed to solve the night time dip issue. I wonder if injecting the basal at a different time of day might make a difference? I don’t know too much about the different basals and how they work to be honest. I chose to take my Lantus when I wake in the morning, purely because I was scared of trying a new medication and then going to sleep!

Oh that’s frustrating, especially as the basal reduction seemed to solve the night time dip issue. I wonder if injecting the basal at a different time of day might make a difference? I don’t know too much about the different basals and how they work to be honest. I chose to take my Lantus when I wake in the morning, purely because I was scared of trying a new medication and then going to sleep!
I think that is a good suggestion, to change the timing of the Lantus. The other option is just to manage any rise in BG through the day with bolus insulin. At the end of the day, your basal is too high if it is dropping you low at night so regardless of daytime basal testing, it is ultimately more important to prevent nighttime hypos.
How big was the rise in levels from your basal test and was it just a morning test?

I am currently having 2-3 hypos a night every night for the last 8 days. I have cut my evening Levemir dose down to 0 and I am now reducing my morning dose. If I have to start making up the shortfall during the day with Fiasp then so be it, but at the moment the important thing is to prevent the nighttime lows.

Well, i've decided to go back to 2 units, after a day where i struggled to get my bs down from low 8s.
My 1.30am drop is sudden, not a gradual drift down you would expect from a too high basal. Plus its only been a thing for the last month, though my basal has been unchanged for a year or so.
I think i was a bit pressured by the daphne facilitators, to be honest. They didn't like it when i didn't take a previous suggestion of theirs.
And a half unit basal pen is out, because the insulin that comes in half unit pens is more expensive (they didn't tell me that directly but it came out in another bit of the course)

Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, i'll try a different timing - i injected my basal at 4pm, we'll see if that helps..

I think that is a good suggestion, to change the timing of the Lantus. The other option is just to manage any rise in BG through the day with bolus insulin. At the end of the day, your basal is too high if it is dropping you low at night so regardless of daytime basal testing, it is ultimately more important to prevent nighttime hypos.
How big was the rise in levels from your basal test and was it just a morning test?

I am currently having 2-3 hypos a night every night for the last 8 days. I have cut my evening Levemir dose down to 0 and I am now reducing my morning dose. If I have to start making up the shortfall during the day with Fiasp then so be it, but at the moment the important thing is to prevent the nighttime lows.
I hope that strategy works for you rebrascora

Well, i did abasglar at 4 and got a good nights sleep. Mind you, i also had a really healthy tea with lots of veg and fruit and my bs peaked under 8, without a walk, so wondered if that may be it, as the drop may be my liver replenishing its sugar stores and if i do no excercise in the evening, perhaps it doesn't need to?
Anyway, will do similar this evening, perhaps with a peak that needs a walk, and see what happend

@Tdm so glad you got some sleep. Let us know how this evening goes!

Yes, it is frustrating. Yes, i'll try a different timing - i injected my basal at 4pm, we'll see if that helps..

I’m another who found Lantus worked far better for me at breakfast time. That way, late evening and overnight, when my BG levels would dip, the Lantus was fading away. But I still had enough during the day to help out. I don’t know why so many HCPs suggest taking Lantus (and other basals) at night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back