Mid Staffs whistleblower Julie Bailey: 'I don't go out here on my own any more'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
She faced threats, abuse and her mother's grave was vandalised, forcing her to leave her home. But the Mid Staffs whistleblower who exposed neglect at the town's hospital is determined to continue her campaign for a better NHS.

The first time I meet Julie Bailey, back in June, she is in Breaks, the cafe she has run for five years just off the high street in Stafford. The cafe is closed, and Bailey is packing up and moving out. This is no simple relocation. In the time Bailey has been here the cafe has doubled as the headquarters of her campaigning group, Cure the NHS, which initially worked to expose the lethal failings of the local Mid Staffordshire NHS foundation trust, and which latterly has extended its reach to hospitals across the country. Cabinet ministers have sat at these tables to hear Bailey's emotive story; for a while the former chief executive of Mid Staffs, Antony Sumara, would come here to face the grievances of some of those his hospitals had let down before he took over in 2009. Now all of the remaining tables and chairs are piled high with boxes of letters and case notes, testament to the five years that Bailey and her supporters have put into their campaign for justice and accountability.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/oct/27/julie-bailey-mid-staffordshire-nhs-whistleblower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back