Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nayshiftin

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Has anyone stopped this and found there blood sugar go very high . If so how long did it take to settle down again ?

My dose was halved from 1000mg to 500mg. I’ve not noticed any difference.

Okay, No I cannot cope stomach wise with them whatsoever. I’ve come off but was only on one 500 g told to take with evening meal . I just cannot and I’ve noticed since I stopped it’s back up a massive amount . Similiar to what I was post op. I don’t feel good. Will be careful all weekend snd might see someone Monday if no better.

I’m not sure one 500mg tablet makes a huge difference - certainly not for me with an initial hba1c of 83. I’ve seen research that shows 1000mg can reduce hba1c by around 11-13, but it is supposed to be used in conjunction with lifestyle changes. I guess if you are pre diabetic it can help bring you down to the non diabetic range? I suspect in my case diet and maybe weight loss is the bigger factor in getting it down.

Okay, No I cannot cope stomach wise with them whatsoever. I’ve come off but was only on one 500 g told to take with evening meal . I just cannot and I’ve noticed since I stopped it’s back up a massive amount . Similiar to what I was post op. I don’t feel good. Will be careful all weekend snd might see someone Monday if no better.
What do you mean by a massive amount?

I too had upset belly with Metformin even the SR version. As i had got my BG pretty under control i did stop in November. Have noticed a rise of maybe 1mmol. Just means i have to exercise a bit more to keep in check. Havent had Hba1c since giving up so just going by meter readings but def up a bit, nothing drastic though.

I'm assuming GPs have some sort of guideline for when to start reducing these medications, or am I being too optimistic?

I seem to be lucky in that I have no side effects from this drug - I get more side effects from eating cauliflower. Emissions of a quite vegetable-y odour, if you see what I mean.

I'm assuming GPs have some sort of guideline for when to start reducing these medications, or am I being too optimistic?

I seem to be lucky in that I have no side effects from this drug - I get more side effects from eating cauliflower. Emissions of a quite vegetable-y odour, if you see what I mean.
Gp s should treat each individual differently . On the other hand Metformin must work well as it’s usual first choice drug . If it works it’s doing what you need it to do and that is great. My metabolism is messed up yes in the diabetic side but I have had ops snd things and hormones troubles etc too. I am up to14.6 and my highest I like to go is in the 10s . So yes thsts s leap . I got it down yo 9.5 last night but it was 10.7 this morning so have work to do. It went up to 9.8 when I started it and I got it to 7.6 . Prior to my op I was on the sevens snd going lows too and it was all over the place hence I started metformin plus my cholestral was up so was on s statin too. Drugs don’t seem to help . I am trying but it’s so hard . Yes all that are at s good weight no trouble moving and having s good life I think great but I’m hashing this all the time . I am trying to get food thsts low carb low Cholesterol there is no such thing . So it’s portion control and s long haul . My question was does it raise when you stop for me it has and I just need to deal with it . Please do not go on s as my one else’s trouble with meds are we are all unique . Just sometimes here folks have experienced things snd say how they coped.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I'm struggling with cholesterol as well - even though I avoid a lot of food that is high in saturated fats it doesn't make a difference! I am not on statins.

Thank you

I think some people must be have the dubious ability to convert dietary fats into cholesterol more than others due to differences in their metabolism, genetics etc, so no matter what they do diet wise it makes little difference.
The best thing to do is do your own research to decide how much it is of consequence to you.

Sorry to hear of your woes. I'm struggling with cholesterol as well - even though I avoid a lot of food that is high in saturated fats it doesn't make a difference! I am not on statins.
Thank uou

I think some people must be have the dubious ability to convert dietary fats into cholesterol more than others due to differences in their metabolism, genetics etc, so no matter what they do diet wise it makes little difference.
The best thing to do is do your own research to decide how much it is of consequence to you.
I’m thinking same with blood sugars . I was 10.7 then after breakfast just before I went shopped 6.5 . Took it after shopping 9.5 then just now 9.5 it stayed there despite being out for a walk so in theory I don’t understand it at all. As after Nordic walk yesterday it went down. . I think type 2 is strange

From what I have read, it has been shown your body produces cholesterol.
So the many, many, posts on its not what you eat are actually correct there.
But the second part, often not said, is an excess of saturated fats tips the balance of the natural levels, so your body ups its production of cholesterol. "Bad", and "good" to compensate.
Then we get onto ratios.
That's all ok, until you get to the point where the "good" cholesterol effect bottoms out. 2.3.
I see it as the HDL are the good police in my arteries. The LDL are the rioters. So, under a set point the police are winning, they take the rioters away. Beyond a certain point though, no matter how many "good" police there are, nothing moves, nothing goes anywhere, the standoff just means everything is clogged up.

From what I have read, it has been shown your body produces cholesterol.
So the many, many, posts on its not what you eat are actually correct there.
But the second part, often not said, is an excess of saturated fats tips the balance of the natural levels, so your body ups its production of cholesterol. "Bad", and "good" to compensate.
Then we get onto ratios.
That's all ok, until you get to the point where the "good" cholesterol effect bottoms out. 2.3.
I see it as the HDL are the good police in my arteries. The LDL are the rioters. So, under a set point the police are winning, they take the rioters away. Beyond a certain point though, no matter how many "good" police there are, nothing moves, nothing goes anywhere, the standoff just means everything is clogged up.
Yes, I think this is very true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back