Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsSusieG

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been taking Metformin for some time without any issue. However just before Christmas I was given different brand (made by Stride) which I am convinced has made me very unwell. My symptoms are total exhaustion, dizziness, generally feeling unwell and I am unable to work. I have seen my GP who has now prescribed Glucophage made by Merck - I thought these were the same?
Has anyone else had a similar experience with a different brand?

I have been taking Metformin for some time without any issue. However just before Christmas I was given different brand (made by Stride) which I am convinced has made me very unwell. My symptoms are total exhaustion, dizziness, generally feeling unwell and I am unable to work. I have seen my GP who has now prescribed Glucophage made by Merck - I thought these were the same?
Has anyone else had a similar experience with a different brand?
I think it is the same unless you have been prescribed the slow or modified release version.
Some people do react to certain brands usually because of the other ingredients or coatings.
I hope these new ones suit you better but don't hesitate to go back to your GP if still an issue.

From time to time people do report that different brands give them problems. I think when I last counted I have had a least 6 different brands of Slow Release Metformin over the years, but for the last few years I get prescribed a named brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back