Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

De Bois

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Having initailly been thought to be late onset type 1, the antibody test proved negative and have been diagnosed as a lean type 2 three months ago. Had been on gliclizide (80mg) which was effective and then put on Metformin 500mg ( 2 in morning/2 at night) in addition to 1 x gliclazide; Bloods were good an levels under control, but I have since been asked to come off gliclizide and now on 4 metformin/day - have monitored over last two weeks and while results are a bit more consistant, the reading have generally gone up which surprised me tbh.Ha st thi happened to anyone else, I have heard that metformin only works effectrively with a strict exercise regime - is that the case? Any thoughts welcome ..

For ordinary type twos what works is fewer carbs in the diet. Metformin can't counteract a constant topping up of blood glucose from food.

Yes exercise will help but the biggest difference will be the carbohydrates you are having so reducing those will have the most impact.
Metformin only helps the body use the insulin it is producing more effectively so control of intake of carbs is needed.

Hi @De Bois and welcome to the forum.

I also stopped taking gliclazide and saw my levels rise so that makes two of us. Restarted it and they came back down.

I never saw any discernable effect from changing metformin dose.

Having initailly been thought to be late onset type 1, the antibody test proved negative and have been diagnosed as a lean type 2 three months ago. Had been on gliclizide (80mg) which was effective and then put on Metformin 500mg ( 2 in morning/2 at night) in addition to 1 x gliclazide; Bloods were good an levels under control, but I have since been asked to come off gliclizide and now on 4 metformin/day - have monitored over last two weeks and while results are a bit more consistant, the reading have generally gone up which surprised me tbh.Ha st thi happened to anyone else, I have heard that metformin only works effectrively with a strict exercise regime - is that the case? Any thoughts welcome ..
Hi. Prof Craig Currie of Cardiff Uni, a leading diabetologist, has analysed tons of research and concluded that Metformin monotherapy is one of, if not the most, effective form of control. In the T2 treatment algorhythm a sulfonylurea like gliclazide is usually only added after Met has maxed out and is being less effective due to progression. Gliclazide was traditionally looked on askance as forcing the Beta cells to produce insulin whether it was needed or not ( hence it's association with hypos). Homespun logic used to maintain that glic was helping to see off the Beta cells because that alleged overworking. It was quite common to hear that line twenty years ago.
Still odd to find glic prescribed ahead of met unless there are special reasons for it. Check out Nice Guidelines on the T2 algorhythm.

Last edited:
gliclazide acts differently to metformin.
gliclazide increases the amount of insulin you produce, by damping down the signals to tell your pancreas to stop.
Metformin reduces the amount of glucose produced by the liver.

As said above, does gliclazide "burn out" beta cells? It's actually still quite common to hear it, and as far as I'm aware, no studies have been done to prove or disprove it? @Burylancs

As to exercise, personally, it works without any medication, it's increases muscle mass, improves circulation, and opens up the pathways to let muscle use glucose again, so reverses insulin resistance.
Unlike you, I was morbidly obese at diagnosis, so I had the luxury of losing 5 stone to reverse my diabetes, but before that exercise certainly brought my levels down.

I also had my Gliclazide stopped as I had pre diabetic levels .I was told to book a HbA in 3 months but my morning levels started to climb and after 6weeks had almost doubled so I rang for a telephone consultation and the same day a GP that I have never met or spoken to before said that I was very sensible for checking my levels and ringing for advice ! ( my husband didn't believe that I am sensible !!!) The doctor put my Gliclazide back on repeat prescription and told me to book a blood test in 3 months which which I have just had so I will wait for the results But my morning levels are almost back to where they were . I am so pleased to be with such a caring surgery although the nurse taking my bloods this morning said that the receptionists often get sworn at !
Carol

Thanks all for taking the time to respond and share your experiences - its a whole new ball game!!

All the best.
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back