Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnarob

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
What have been the most widely reported side effects of Metformin?

Does it help with weight loss?

Donna x

The only side effect that I've heard of is windyness (hence its nickname of metfartin).

In theory metformin is an 'appetite suppressant' but when I was on it, I could have still eaten half a pig in one go! However, when I stopped (taking the metformin!) I became aware that I was feeling hungry before meals which I hadn't before.

Andy 🙂

The main side effects are plumbing upsets including; nausea, diarrhea, bloating and gas. It can also cause Lactic Acidosis as I know to my cost. And sadly, no, it won't help you lose weight, sorry about that.

Most people get over the initial side effects (except the gas) within a couple of weeks of starting the drug, but it can recur for a while if the dosage is increased. Hope that helps.

Can't add to what Alison has said, but some people find peppermint oil capsules help or pepermint tea. If it is too bad and still happens after a couple or three weeks go back and see the doctor.

I was given this years ago and the side effect i suffered most was nausea it was so bad i stopped taking it after 2 days

I've been on metformin for about 3-4 months now. Initially I had a horribly upset stomach every time I ate and whenever I got stressed - things settled down after a couple of months and now I only get an upset stomach if I get really stressed.
I have, however, lost a stone and a half since starting it. I'm hoping that it's due to my own hard work, but you never know...

Can not add any more then whats been said. Now I have been on metformin for several months they do settle. If you are still having problems have you thought of Metformin SR Slow release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back