metformin

jane58

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi i am type 2 diabetic, due to go on metformin soon, i was wondering what peoples views were on metformin, i have heard some people think it has terrible side affects? and does it work in helping lower your bgl. thanks in Advance. Jane

I have been on 2 x 500mg slow release metformin for 7 weeks and have no perceivable side effects - my understanding is it most effective in conjunction with diet and lifestyle changes.

Hi Jane58
I’ve been using Metformin since I got diagnosed in May 2024. I’ve had no side effects except for weight loss ( which is a good thing to keep diabetes at bay ) I also had a blood test in August and I’ve been told I am in remission I do believe the Metformin has really helped with this as well as a diet change and more exercise. I know some people do get side effects I am one of those lucky ones so I suppose it just depends on your body - if you do suffer from any side effects talk to your GP I’m sure they’ll try another type of meditation until they find the one that suits you better. I know it can be scary but everyone on this forum are very supportive so you’re not alone
Good Luck and I wish you all the best
AK53

does it work in helping lower your bgl. thanks in Advance. Jane
Not on its own as it's job is to reduce the amount of glucose your body absorbs, makes, and uses, and helps your body's own insulin work better, but to get your BG down you would need to be taking it whilst also reducing the amount of carbohydrate in your diet.

Hi Jane58
I’ve been using Metformin since I got diagnosed in May 2024. I’ve had no side effects except for weight loss ( which is a good thing to keep diabetes at bay ) I also had a blood test in August and I’ve been told I am in remission I do believe the Metformin has really helped with this as well as a diet change and more exercise. I know some people do get side effects I am one of those lucky ones so I suppose it just depends on your body - if you do suffer from any side effects talk to your GP I’m sure they’ll try another type of meditation until they find the one that suits you better. I know it can be scary but everyone on this forum are very supportive so you’re not alone
Good Luck and I wish you all the best
AK53
At what HbA1c level were you when you came of the Metformin

Some people really cannot tolerate metformin and have terrible tummy effects. I'm lucky...had a bit of a dicky tummy for the first couple of weeks and again when I increased the dosage. Apart from those few weeks I've had no trouble at all. It's like everything Diabetic...everyone is different!

I am still taking the Metformin as it is helping to keep my BG levels down
I will come off of them when my GP advices me to

Reactions: JOV
My advice for when you do start Metformin is to buy a lot of loo paper

Some people really cannot tolerate metformin and have terrible tummy effects. I'm lucky...had a bit of a dicky tummy for the first couple of weeks and again when I increased the dosage. Apart from those few weeks I've had no trouble at all. It's like everything Diabetic...everyone is different!
I had some really bad stomach cramps and went back to my DN after 6 weeks, but when I showed her the diary I kept of my finger prick tests she decided I probably didn't need it anymore. I haven't taken it, or anything else, since.

I took Metformin for around 2 years (Only a low dose) and had no problems.

People are different, some will get side effects, some will not, so really does not matter what other people say, you probably just need to try them.

If you get any side effects talk to the medical bods and they can then alter the meds as required.

Personally I had upset tummy with the normal merformin (4 x tabs a day total 2000mg).
I changed to the slow release metformin, but still had occasional upset tummy.
I then reduced dose to 3 x tabs per day (1500mg) 2 in the morning and one in the eve, and it almost got rid of the tummy upsets, but still had very occasional bouts.
I have now stopped taking metformin, as part of the T2D Pathway to remission program (strict monitored diet plan).
Cheers

Hi i am type 2 diabetic, due to go on metformin soon, i was wondering what peoples views were on metformin, i have heard some people think it has terrible side affects? and does it work in helping lower your bgl. thanks in Advance. Jane

The majority of people get on fine with Metformin, others have some short-term gastric upset which resolves after a few weeks. And yes, a few people can’t tolerate Met at all, and have a dramatic reaction.

Most people are started on very low doses, which are gradually increased over a number of weeks which can help reduce and stomach upset, and allow the body time to get used to it.

There are also slow-release formulations of Metformin which are generally found to be easier on the tum.

Hopefully you’ll get on OK with it @jane58 and it will gently support any changes you are making to your menu.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your reply's hopefully im fine with taking metformin x

Back