Metformin

Primmy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello
I am looking for some advice regarding Metformin I have had metformin increased to 4 tablets a day, but I have to increase them over time which I’m sure is what most people do. My question is I am now on from this week 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening, I am having severe sweats during the day and night also feel nauseous, is this a side effect? Could I reduce them ? Thanks. My Hbc1a is 49.

Hello
I am looking for some advice regarding Metformin I have had metformin increased to 4 tablets a day, but I have to increase them over time which I’m sure is what most people do. My question is I am now on from this week 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening, I am having severe sweats during the day and night also feel nauseous, is this a side effect? Could I reduce them ? Thanks. My Hbc1a is 49.
Those do sound like the side effects of the increased dose of metformin. Can I ask if 49mmol/mol was your starting HbA1C or has it come down to that level with the lower dose of metformin over a few months.
If the former then I am surprised that you were initially prescribed metformin before giving lifestyle changes, primarily diet but increased exercise if you can, a chance to bring your HbA1C down by a repeat test after 3 months.
If you are getting problems then speak to your GP about going back to one tablet or just continuing with your dietary changes without the metformin.

Hi @Primmy , I was put on slow release metformin when I was first diagnosed. 500mg initially then increased to 2000mg over time. Tablets changed from. 500mg to 1000mg dosage so I now take 1 after breakfast and 1 after evening meal. Had side effects of stomach upsets initially but this settled down. I have the occasional night feeling hot and sweaty or cold with cold knees ( makes my arthritis worse). Generally my overall health is improving so I put this down to my body adjusting to current medication and bg slowly coming down. Hope this helps. You can certainly discuss changing the dose of your metformin if you are not tolerating it well or taking an alternative.

Those do sound like the side effects of the increased dose of metformin. Can I ask if 49mmol/mol was your starting HbA1C or has it come down to that level with the lower dose of metformin over a few months.
If the former then I am surprised that you were initially prescribed metformin before giving lifestyle changes, primarily diet but increased exercise if you can, a chance to bring your HbA1C down by a repeat test after 3 months.
If you are getting problems then speak to your GP about going back to one tablet or just continuing with your dietary changes without the metformin.
Hello thanks for replying, my initial no was 48, I was put on one a day for three months then had blood tests it went down to 42 stayed on one metformin a day for another three months it went up to 49 this is why the nurse has increased the medication. I have completed an econsult with my GP waiting to hear back from them.

Hi @Primmy , I was put on slow release metformin when I was first diagnosed. 500mg initially then increased to 2000mg over time. Tablets changed from. 500mg to 1000mg dosage so I now take 1 after breakfast and 1 after evening meal. Had side effects of stomach upsets initially but this settled down. I have the occasional night feeling hot and sweaty or cold with cold knees ( makes my arthritis worse). Generally my overall health is improving so I put this down to my body adjusting to current medication and bg slowly coming down. Hope this helps. You can certainly discuss changing the dose of your metformin if you are not tolerating it well or taking an alternative.
Thanks for replying my arthritis is also a problem as well as I have sciatica which together with the night sweats is awful.

I would have thought a better option would be to look at your diet rather than suffer from the effects of increased dose of metformin.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for a way in which you could modify your diet to reduce your carb intake. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
If you have been taking steroids for the arthritis then that could be pushing your blood glucose up as doing that is a well recognised side effect.

I would have thought a better option would be to look at your diet rather than suffer from the effects of increased dose of metformin.
Have a look at this link for some ideas for a way in which you could modify your diet to reduce your carb intake. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
If you have been taking steroids for the arthritis then that could be pushing your blood glucose up as doing that is a well recognised side effect.
Thanks for replying, I am trying with diet also.

With your starting HbA1c it seems odd that you are on Metformin.
I hate the stuff as it and Atorvastatin made me really unwell, so I have no trouble sticking to a low carb diet - or my latest escapade, the low calorie shakes.
In just a few weeks of tablets I was almost immobile with the aches and pains in joints and muscles - and it took 18 months for the last ache to subside, and I still can't get up to the top floor of the Foundation building at the Arts University using the stairs.
It is my own annual health check. When I started going there to do some work every summer I used the lift to move my tool kit and then went up and down the stairs. When diagnosed I'd done the servicing for that year, but the next year I could not come down more than one flight and simply was unable to climb the stairs - it was a struggle to lift the machines too. I'm getting better, but at 73 years, everything is a bit slower.

I do think your GP was a bit premature with prescribing the metformin with an HbA1Cof only just over the diagnostic threshold of 48 and over especially as there are some new NICE guidelines which suggest the that threshold should be more lenient for more mature folk.
Just being careful of your carb intake should be sufficient unless you have other risk factors.

With your starting HbA1c it seems odd that you are on Metformin.
I hate the stuff as it and Atorvastatin made me really unwell, so I have no trouble sticking to a low carb diet - or my latest escapade, the low calorie shakes.
In just a few weeks of tablets I was almost immobile with the aches and pains in joints and muscles - and it took 18 months for the last ache to subside, and I still can't get up to the top floor of the Foundation building at the Arts University using the stairs.
It is my own annual health check. When I started going there to do some work every summer I used the lift to move my tool kit and then went up and down the stairs. When diagnosed I'd done the servicing for that year, but the next year I could not come down more than one flight and simply was unable to climb the stairs - it was a struggle to lift the machines too. I'm getting better, but at 73 years, everything is a bit slower.
Thanks for replying I have just spoken to my GP he said to stop the Metformin, I also have a problem with statins.

I do think your GP was a bit premature with prescribing the metformin with an HbA1Cof only just over the diagnostic threshold of 48 and over especially as there are some new NICE guidelines which suggest the that threshold should be more lenient for more mature folk.
Just being careful of your carb intake should be sufficient unless you have other risk factors.
Thanks for replying I have just spoken to GP who said to stop taking the metformin than goodness.

Thanks for replying I have just spoken to my GP he said to stop the Metformin, I also have a problem with statins.
I think many do - I had to relearn all my songs. That took years, but now I am a lot better and singing from memory again.

Thanks for replying I have just spoken to GP who said to stop taking the metformin than goodness.

Glad you were able to check the symptoms you have been experiencing with your GP.

Were you given any recommendations for what you might try to help with the direction of your HbA1c?

Back