Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I've been taking metformin now for nearly 3 weeks, and I'm still bit nauseous and tired since I started it. I'm.taking 2000mg a day. I'm.taking it meals so I'm.not sure why I still feel.this way. How long does it take for your body to get used to the pills?

I've been taking metformin now for nearly 3 weeks, and I'm still bit nauseous and tired since I started it. I'm.taking 2000mg a day. I'm.taking it meals so I'm.not sure why I still feel.this way. How long does it take for your body to get used to the pills?
Quite a few people find it is a problem and they do not tolerate it but the slow release version is better.
I assume to started on a low dose then increase over the weeks as that can help the body to adjust.
The tiredness could be because your blood glucose is still high. Have you also made some dietary changes?

Quite a few people find it is a problem and they do not tolerate it but the slow release version is better.
I assume to started on a low dose then increase over the weeks as that can help the body to adjust.
The tiredness could be because your blood glucose is still high. Have you also made some dietary changes?
Yes I've made some dietary changes and eating more fibre, eating wholemeal version of things, doing more walking. I have to take sugar readings at moment, morning and night , and my levels are reading fine, and have gone down. But I know when feeling nauseous, tiredness can come with it

The patient information leaflet will give a list of possible side effects. Have you checked it to see if it ties in with what you're experiencing?
I never got on with Metformin but only experienced stomach cramps.

Yes I've made some dietary changes and eating more fibre, eating wholemeal version of things, doing more walking. I have to take sugar readings at moment, morning and night , and my levels are reading fine, and have gone down. But I know when feeling nauseous, tiredness can come with it
It sounds as if you are still eating quite high carb foods as even wholemeal versions of things like bread, pasta and rice are high carbs so it may be worth you testing how they affect your blood glucose by testing before you eat and after 2 hours, an increase of no more than 2-3mmol/l would mean you are tolerating them OK but if not then some substitutions for something lower carb or reduce your portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back