Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen999

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
General question
How long did it take you to get used to Metformin, I've read some people straight away others up to two weeks and others never.
I've just upped my dosage and struggling to adjust.

General question
How long did it take you to get used to Metformin, I've read some people straight away others up to two weeks and others never.
After 6 weeks I had to go back to my DN on account of suffering really bad stomach cramps, which was just as well because when she saw my fasting and pre- & post-prandial readings in my diary she decided I didn't need it anyway.

I had a similar experience to @Martin.A did my best, but the cramps became unbearable and I was taken off it. Yet other people can tolerate it very well. We are all different, and we can't fight our own physiology.

If you have problems with standard Metformin, ask the GP to prescribe Metformin Slow Release (SR)

General question
Only recently diagnosed and started using Metformin.
One tablet twice a day for the 1st week, and 2x twice a day after that...with no adverse effects at all

I've been on them for a while now and still gets bouts of diarrhea which is a pain in the ....

I asked for prolonged release from the get-go as I have a history of gastro issues. Never had any problems, so worth trying that.

Had ordinary metformin and reacted badly. Then slow release which was no better. I lost a lot of weight which I couldn't afford. Bit the bullet and went on insulin. Not half as bad as I expected doing the injection and put over a stone on which I need for other health reasons. Metformin is very cheap for the NHS so widely used as first resort but definitely doesn't suit everyone

Did you get much gastric upset when you initially started Metformin @Karen999 ?

What was the reason for increasing the dose, was it just routine, or had your A1c changed? Is there a half-way point between the doses that you could try to take things more gradually?

Did you get much gastric upset when you initially started Metformin @Karen999 ?

What was the reason for increasing the dose, was it just routine, or had your A1c changed? Is there a half-way point between the doses that you could try to take things more gradually?
dB nurse adviced I add a tablet in because my bg readings have stayed higher since I had covid 6 weeks ago, all very frustrating. My high is a regular 10. It took me a few weeks to tolerate Metformin when I started and was changed to slow release all seemed ok after 2 weeks. So I'm hanging in for another week with this increased dose. Fingers crossed the nausea will calm down.

Hope your BGs begin to behave more normally for you really soon @Karen999 and any stomach upset disappears quickly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back