Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieF

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi - I’ve just joined the group, although I have been diagnosed with Type2 for about two years. I didn’t start Metformin until about three months ago and although I was only on one 500 mg tablet a day to begin with, it’s gone up to one with each meal about 4 weeks ago. But since then I have felt increasingly sick, bloated, and it seems to have given me awful wind and diarrhoea. I’m surprised about this because I’d already been on it for about eight weeks and so was just a slight increase in dosage. Also, if you read information online, it suggests that you only have this kind of issue when you take it for the first time. Am I alone or does anybody else have similar experiences? I’m thinking about dropping it back to 2 a day or maybe even one. I’m just so confused by it all. Any advice would be appreciated.

You are not alone in experiencing problems when increasing the dose. One option is to ask for the slow release version which is supposed to be kinder on the stomach. Meanwhile dropping back to your original dose may help.
Dietary changes are just as powerful as metformin so making some changes there should also help.
Many do find a low carb approach successful, this link may help you. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
What is you HbA1C as that will indicate how much work you need to do.

That’s the problem, I’m not sure. I had a blood test at my request to see how my blood sugar was doing about two weeks ago, and I’ve been told that I can ring for results.
However, whenever I rang the surgery I’m always 30th or more in the queue and as I work full time, I can’t hold on endlessly to find out. I’m actually changing my GP because trying to get to see someone at my own practice, where I’ve been a patient for more than 60 years has become impossible since Covid. I think I’ll take your advice to begin with and reduce my dosage back to 2 or even one. I do finger prick every morning and that’s been somewhere between 7.5 and nine. It was 8 to 9 on two pills and has gone down to 7.5 with a three. Can I just say thank you very much for responding so quickly, I was really starting to get quite depressed about it all.

That’s the problem, I’m not sure. I had a blood test at my request to see how my blood sugar was doing about two weeks ago, and I’ve been told that I can ring for results.
However, whenever I rang the surgery I’m always 30th or more in the queue and as I work full time, I can’t hold on endlessly to find out. I’m actually changing my GP because trying to get to see someone at my own practice, where I’ve been a patient for more than 60 years has become impossible since Covid. I think I’ll take your advice to begin with and reduce my dosage back to 2 or even one. I do finger prick every morning and that’s been somewhere between 7.5 and nine. It was 8 to 9 on two pills and has gone down to 7.5 with a three. Can I just say thank you very much for responding so quickly, I was really starting to get quite depressed about it all.
Those are quite high fasting levels so seriously looking at your diet would be worthwhile. You could start by doing a food diary of everything you eat and drink with an approximation of the amount of carbohydrates not just sugar and see how far you are from the suggested no more than 130g per day. You could then see where you need to be making some savings.

Hi. I had the same problem with Metformin. One a day was fine, but more was not, even with the slow release version. I was put on an additional different medication instead and am fine with that. I have an app which I update daily with my planned meals. It shows my carbs so I can ensure I keep within my chosen level. It is suggested a maximum of 130gm carbs a day and I have chosen a range of 60gm - 90gm. We are all different, so it depends on what suits your body.
My GP has online services, where I can look up results, order medication, make an appointment, see my history. Does your GP have a similar service? If so you could request they send you your results. You are entitled to know your HbA1c.

Are used to have access to the results online, but when they changed between two computer systems all that stopped. It’s just all so frustrating. What’s the app you use?

Are used to have access to the results online, but when they changed between two computer systems all that stopped. It’s just all so frustrating. What’s the app you use?
I use NutraCheck which is UK based and has a small monthly fee. There is also MyFitnessPal which is USA based but free. I tried both and opted for NutraCHeck, but others prefer MyFitnessPal. Google will also show you others.

Sadly it used to, but it stopped last Autumn when they changed computer systems and they have stopped allowing patients to see their results online.
Which seems crazy. My surgery doesn't because their computer system is incompatible (I guess because it's a bit old), but I'm presuming they'll choose one that is compatible the next time they change it.

Sadly it used to, but it stopped last Autumn when they changed computer systems and they have stopped allowing patients to see their results online. But thank you for the thought.
There’s a new app now, you need to be ask to be re set up on the nhs app not the old system the surgery used to use and you also need to ask for permission to view your blood test results and medical reports, can be quite enlightening and for me liberating in taking action to help myself. You can see blood test results as soon as the Gp has reviewed them.

Which seems crazy. My surgery doesn't because their computer system is incompatible (I guess because it's a bit old), but I'm presuming they'll choose one that is compatible the next time they change it.
Over odd as is supposed to be one national system and it’s so easy to use, the app is available on Apple and Google stores and I believe you can register via nhs website.

Over odd as is supposed to be one national system and it’s so easy to use, the app is available on Apple and Google stores and I believe you can register via nhs website.
Yes, I know. I use it for repeat prescriptions and it's fine for that. (Similarly the COVID-19 vaccination thing, though I never actually used that.) I'd love it if the general records were accessible similarly.

Yes, I know. I use it for repeat prescriptions and it's fine for that. (Similarly the COVID-19 vaccination thing, though I never actually used that.) I'd love it if the general records were accessible similarly.
You need to ask for your permission to be tweaked, I had to ask for mine and back dated to oct/Nov 2022 when it all changed, the test data and all the data for hospital letters is not automatically granted to us for some odd reason. Only takes a couple of days once permission is granted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back