Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yadit

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m new to type 2 diabetes and been given Metformin
The first week I was told to take 1 tablet with breakfast had no problems, then have to take 2 tablets one at breakfast one at tea time with food
Taking the 2 a day is causing havoc with my bowel movements in the mornings and evenings is this normal and will it settle at some point.
Many thanks Jane

It is very normal, which is why they increase the dose slowly. For many people it settles after a while but for some it does not, in which case you need to speak to you nurse, there are alternative.

When I was on metformin, following someone's suggestion on this forum, I started taking it right at the end of my meal. I found it a great help.

I’m new to type 2 diabetes and been given Metformin
The first week I was told to take 1 tablet with breakfast had no problems, then have to take 2 tablets one at breakfast one at tea time with food
Taking the 2 a day is causing havoc with my bowel movements in the mornings and evenings is this normal and will it settle at some point.
Many thanks Jane
I switched to the slow release ones and I was much better

I found when I first started taking it, one 500mg tablet with dinner the first day, as the DSN said I had to start it immediately, I had quite loose stools the next morning. I then took one a day with breakfast for the remainder of week 1 as advised. Then increased it every week, so one with the evening meal as well as breakfast on week two. Then two with breakfast and one with the evening meal on week 3, then two with breakfast and two with the evening meal on week 4. I had quite loose stools on weeks 3 and 4 as well, but it normally settled after one or two days. I've been on 4 a day for about 6 weeks now, no major issues, except this week it has been a bit up and down, but I suspect I had something dodgy to eat on Tuesday.

As many have said, if you can't tolerate it, they can try alternatives, either the slow release AKA XR (eXtended Release) version, or other medications. But I would suggest you continue and see how it goes. Many of the alternative medications are either less effective at lowering BG, and/or can have a tendency for weight gain. But it's ultimately up to you if you can put up with the short term discomfort, or find it's more than short term.

When I asked the DSN about people tolerating Metformin, she said 95% of her patients are fine on it.

Hi. If it persists for more than a week or so ask the surgery to swap you to Metformin SR (Slow Release)

I never managed more than 2 days, not consecutively, taking 2 tablets of Metformin.
I took one tablet a day for maybe a month and felt, and was, disgusting with the uncontrollable incontinence. When I became suicidal - I was taking Atorvastatin as well, I decided to stop taking the tablets and after a while I was just about normal again. That was long after I had dealt with the type 2 using a low carb diet.
Whilst many people can cope with the medication, I really did not, so don't think that it is somehow essential that you swallow the tablets and try to live with the consequences, there are other options, and actually not taking anything can be absolutely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back