Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulW10

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been diagnosed T2 for 2 years, (june2021) was 6.9,had a big push and within 6 months was 5.9.
June 2022 was up to 6.5
June2023 up to 7,nurse now wants to start me on metformin, everybody I've spoken to about this seems to think that's a bad thing so I'm really worried bout taking it. Not started yet as I'm trying to lower it by more exercise got a test due in a few weeks. Find it hard to be on a permanent low calorie diet but my problem is late evening snacking, I can be good all day then later on just want to eat.

Been diagnosed T2 for 2 years, (june2021) was 6.9,had a big push and within 6 months was 5.9.
June 2022 was up to 6.5
June2023 up to 7,nurse now wants to start me on metformin, everybody I've spoken to about this seems to think that's a bad thing so I'm really worried bout taking it. Not started yet as I'm trying to lower it by more exercise got a test due in a few weeks. Find it hard to be on a permanent low calorie diet but my problem is late evening snacking, I can be good all day then later on just want to eat.
Hi obviously diet and lifestyle is a better way to deal with and improve things but medications can help and they do not have to be for life. What are people telling you that’s so negative? Metformin can have side affects but if started slowly it can be managed and there is a slow release version that is easier on your tummy if a slow granular start doesn’t work for you.
Do you get cravings at night or is is more boredom? For me was boredom and cravings with my cycles so slowly I changed hobbies for night time and developed alternative snacks for hormonal times.

A
June 2022 was up to 6.5
Low calorie diet is not for everyone so it may be worth considering a different approach, many find a low carb regime is successful as it is carbohydrates that convert to glucose so restricting those in your diet will help with lowering blood glucose. Having a diet with enough protein and healthy fats should reduce the 'snacking' but sometimes snacking is from boredom or habit rather than being hungry, a drink will often suffice. Have a look at this link for a low carb approach. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

June 2022 was up to 6.5

Welcome to the forum @PaulW10

Sorry to hear your HbA1c (assuming those are the numbers you are quoting?) has been creeping up a little.

I’m not sure who has been suggesting horror stories about Metformin, but it is a very widely prescribed ‘first line’ medication for diabetes. Some people get a little short–term stomach upset, but for most that settles down relatively quickly, or can be helped by opting for the ‘slow release’ version. A few members here had a slightly worse reaction, or found their stomach upset continued, but the vast majority take it without problems.

It works in the background by reducing glucose output from the liver, and increasing insulin sensitivity - so it’s effective and doesn’t carry the risk of hypos in the same way as some other T2 meds.

The only way to know how you’d get on with it would be to try it for a while? You may find that it helps with a tweaked menu to get your diabetes back on track, and then you can cut back on the meds again?

Hi obviously diet and lifestyle is a better way to deal with and improve things but medications can help and they do not have to be for life. What are people telling you that’s so negative? Metformin can have side affects but if started slowly it can be managed and there is a slow release version that is easier on your tummy if a slow granular start doesn’t work for you.
Do you get cravings at night or is is more boredom? For me was boredom and cravings with my cycles so slowly I changed hobbies for night time and developed alternative snacks for hormonal times.
People generally just saying it's bad. The night time eating is purely boredom it's a hard habit to get out of. I work 12 hour shifts days and nights so I can't get into a regular routine.

Welcome to the forum @PaulW10

Sorry to hear your HbA1c (assuming those are the numbers you are quoting?) has been creeping up a little.

I’m not sure who has been suggesting horror stories about Metformin, but it is a very widely prescribed ‘first line’ medication for diabetes. Some people get a little short–term stomach upset, but for most that settles down relatively quickly, or can be helped by opting for the ‘slow release’ version. A few members here had a slightly worse reaction, or found their stomach upset continued, but the vast majority take it without problems.

It works in the background by reducing glucose output from the liver, and increasing insulin sensitivity - so it’s effective and doesn’t carry the risk of hypos in the same way as some other T2 meds.

The only way to know how you’d get on with it would be to try it for a while? You may find that it helps with a tweaked menu to get your diabetes back on track, and then you can cut back on the meds again?
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

People generally just saying it's bad. The night time eating is purely boredom it's a hard habit to get out of. I work 12 hour shifts days and nights so I can't get into a regular routine.
There’s ways to handle the side affects and often a slower introduction is all that’s needed or a switch to a slow release version. My husband is a shift worker so see him eat when bored, I try to keep him busy, can you adapt any of your hobbies to ease the boredom?

I am one of those who had a very violent reaction to Metformin - and the addition of Atorvastatin just made it worse.
Fortunately I already knew that it was the carbohydrate which was the problem, despite my GP telling me otherwise.
I am on a permanent low carb diet, but I eat meat, fish, eggs, cheese, full fat Greek yoghurt, put cream in my coffee and once in a while have berries, usually with sugar free jelly.
I used to eat at 12 hour intervals, but these days I am not interested in eating very much, so often only eat in the evenings. Low carb really diminishes appetite and cravings. Once I have eaten I an content for the rest of the day.

It's been over 13 years since I was diagnosed with type 2. Initially, I was on gliclazide and then metformin for the first 6 months before I came off all medication because my change of diet and lifestyle did the trick

More recently, I am back on the metformin because my hba1c has been on an upward trend for quite a while. If I can get my head in the right place and make a decent effort, I see no reason why I can't stop the meds again.

I'm more than happy with metformin. After a couple of weeks of dodgy tum I've been fine for the last 3 years. But everyone is different. You won't know until you try.

I just started metformin two months ago, the modified release version. I have had no issues other than a slightly decreased appetite. So not necessarily a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back