Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphin35

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone
I'm a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic and just wondered jow everyone copes with metformin and if there are any vad side effects. I'm not sure if I'm going to take it yet
Thanx
Susan

Hi everyone
I'm a newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic and just wondered jow everyone copes with metformin and if there are any vad side effects. I'm not sure if I'm going to take it yet
Thanx
Susan

I had no issues when I took it.

I have no side effects, but I’m only on a very low dose (500mg) I did take 1000mg for three months without any problems.

Some people manage fine especially if you build up the dose gradually over a few weeks and take it with food.
Making dietary changes is also important as it is equally if not more important then the metformin.
If you do get effects that don't settle down within a short time then there is a slow release version which is tolerated better by some.

I have been taking Metformin for nearly 30 years now. The only side effects that I have personally been aware of are all about my stomach. Mainly diarrhoea and loose stools. It takes some people a little while to get used to taking it. Good luck!

Hi everyone
Thanx
Susan
In contrast to others here I had dreadful problems with it so threw the pills in the bin and changed what I ate completely to achieve remission in 4 months.

On the standard format of metformin, which is likely what you've been prescribed initially, I had terrible digestive issues (it's not nicknamed metfartin for nothing) but after a week or so I just told the GP and asked if they could switch me to the modified/slow release version and I've taken that with no issues or side effects.

May I ask why you're tempted to not take them? Are you hoping to make dietary changes?

May I also ask how you came to be diagnosed and whether you know your blood glucose levels (it'll be called HbA1c on your medical records)?

Hi everyone
Thanx
Susan
The reaction to Metformin is very variable.
Some people take it and have no side effects.
Some - like me have a reaction so violent it just stops any sort of activity. Some days I could not even risk going down stairs, and that was when taking a single tablet.
I did get a professional level carpet and upholstery cleaner out of the experience, but it wasn't worth it.

Welcome to the forum @dolphin35

Metformin is very widely prescribed (it is the first line medication for people with T2) and many people are able to take it without problems. It can help to start on a low dose and increase gradually. Any side effects are often mild or can be short lived and stop after a few weeks. Alternatively, people can switch to the slow release version as @ColinUK did and find that suits them better.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t suit some people who do get a more severe reaction, but you could always try it and see how you get on?

There is a write-up with details (including possible side effects) on the NHS website:

Last edited:
On the standard format of metformin, which is likely what you've been prescribed initially, I had terrible digestive issues (it's not nicknamed metfartin for nothing) but after a week or so I just told the GP and asked if they could switch me to the modified/slow release version and I've taken that with no issues or side effects.

May I ask why you're tempted to not take them? Are you hoping to make dietary changes?

May I also ask how you came to be diagnosed and whether you know your blood glucose levels (it'll be called HbA1c on your medical records)?
Hi. Yes I was hoping to contral my levels with diet but it's gonna be a challenge. I was diagnosed through routine blood tests cos I didn't have any symptons. My first HbA1c was 62 n last one 60.

My first HbA1c was 62 n last one 60.
62 wasn't horrific and 60, while not a great improvement, is at least going the right direction. I started off at 91 and got to 43 in twelve weeks just by diet - basically eliminating sugar and eating low carbs. I was fortunate and didn't suffer any side effects on the rapid diet change so read the forum for a week or two to get a feel for what can work and what can go wrong.
I was hoping to control my levels with diet but it's gonna be a challenge.
What did you try?

62 wasn't horrific and 60, while not a great improvement, is at least going the right direction. I started off at 91 and got to 43 in twelve weeks just by diet - basically eliminating sugar and eating low carbs. I was fortunate and didn't suffer any side effects on the rapid diet change so read the forum for a week or two to get a feel for what can work and what can go wrong.

What did you try?
I've cut out sugar but had terrible sugar withdrawals. I eat loadsa fruit n veg and watch my carbs it's just a bit dull Are you still on metformin?

I've cut out sugar but had terrible sugar withdrawals. I eat loadsa fruit n veg and watch my carbs it's just a bit dull Are you still on metformin?
Just be careful of fruit as many fruits are pretty high carb especially tropical fruits, berries are the lowest but you still need to watch your portion size.
It is all carbs not just sugar, what is dull about meat, fish, eggs, cheese, dairy, nuts.
There are good recipes on sugarfreelondoner for low carb cakes, biscuits as well as other meals.
Look at the thread food with pictures for some good suggestions.

Just be careful of fruit as many fruits are pretty high carb especially tropical fruits, berries are the lowest but you still need to watch your portion size.
It is all carbs not just sugar, what is dull about meat, fish, eggs, cheese, dairy, nuts.
There are good recipes on sugarfreelondoner for low carb cakes, biscuits as well as other meals.
Look at the thread food with pictures for some good suggestions.
Yes I will thanx for that. What do you eat your protein with? I'm trying brown rice at the minute

Yes I will thanx for that. What do you eat your protein with? I'm trying brown rice at the minute
Plenty Veg or salad, I use butternut squash as a alternative to potatoes, I never have rice, I use edamame or black bean pasta instead of normal pasta as it is much lower carb and I am OK with a slice of bread or half a bread roll.
Tonight I had edamame pasta with pesto, salmon, broccoli, asparagus and sliced tomatoes. Followed by a protein yoghurt with some mixed seeds.

Are you still on metformin?
No. I never started on it. When I asked my doctor about sorting out diabetes with diet he said that he would "respect my decision". He does now!
In Ireland I'm entitled to 50 test strips every three months but found that I can get 50 per month if I'm prescribed Metformin so I got the prescription but never collect it!
I'm trying brown rice at the minute
Be careful with that. A quick check on a couple of websites indicate that brown has higher carbs than white. The uncooked rice has a carb content of 37 g/100 g (37%) which drops to about 17% when cooked because half the weight is then just water. You'd want to keep your portions small. I don't eat rice anymore. We grate a cauliflower instead, stir fry and add some soy sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back