Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lancsamb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After reading the article in this months magazine I realised that my neuropathy in my feet may be getting worse with the continued use of metform8n. I take 1000 mg twice a day and one injection in the morning of victoza. My 3 monthly check average 7 so it does work. Is there any alternative anyone uses for Metformin?

I'm surprised Metformin is suspected of causing neuropathy? I would like to see the evidence. It never does that much so stopping it wouldn't affect your BS that much but do check with the GP. The fact that you are on Victoza implies you may have some excess weight? if that is true, have you reduced your carb intake?

There seems to be some link between Metformin and Neuropathy:

Metformin may make the symptoms worse.

So..... is it neuropathy or possibly Vitamin B12 deficiency due to malabsorption caused by the Metformin?

Have you had your B12 levels checked via a blood test? It is a pretty simple routine test to ask for. If you are low, you would need injections of B12 because the Metformin inhibits absorption of oral B12.

After reading the article in this months magazine I realised that my neuropathy in my feet may be getting worse with the continued use of metform8n. I take 1000 mg twice a day and one injection in the morning of victoza. My 3 monthly check average 7 so it does work. Is there any alternative anyone uses for Metformin?
Hi , I have only recently starting taking Metformin and the neuropathy in my feet has dramatically improved. No doubt some drugs may effect each person in a different way.

Again from my personal experience my first port of call was the pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist and let him my concerns.I reacted very badly to Metformin ( first pill ) and he recommended me to alter the time the Metformin was taken and in my case to be taken with food.He also went through my total cocktail of prescribed drugs to make sure that not interaction between the drugs was taking place.He wrote to my Doctor confirming his recommendation.

Hi , I have only recently starting taking Metformin and the neuropathy in my feet has dramatically improved. No doubt some drugs may effect each person in a different way.

Again from my personal experience my first port of call was the pharmacy and speak to the pharmacist and let him my concerns.I reacted very badly to Metformin ( first pill ) and he recommended me to alter the time the Metformin was taken and in my case to be taken with food.He also went through my total cocktail of prescribed drugs to make sure that not interaction between the drugs was taking place.He wrote to my Doctor confirming his recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back