Metformin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamamac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have an angiogram coming up on Tuesday. The hospital has told me not to take Metformin for 48 hours before and after the procedure. Is this going to make my sugars skyrocket? Should I worry?

Metformin takes weeks to fully build up in your system and only has a small impact on blood sugars. Missing metformin for a few days isnt going to cause dangerously high blood sugars, they wouldn’t advise you to miss it if it was dangerous to do so.

Welcome to the forum @Pamamac

Hope the angiogram goes well, and provides useful information to guide your treatment.

As @Lucyr says, the way Metformin works is to build up gradually to soak into your system, the effect of missing a few doses should be offset by the trailing doses you have taken previously.

If you are concerned, it might be worth considering limiting your total carbohydrate intake a little more (as well as ‘of which sugars’) on the days where you are missing doses and for a few days afterwards?

Hi , Issues with Metformin when I started the second pill of the day.( Won't go into detail )

Contacted my Doctor explaining what the problem is and he I instructed me to revert to 1 pill per day for 30 days and see how it goes.

Cannot be put onto the Slow release Metformin as presently I am out of the country.

I quite often forget to take my 500mg of Metformin, and don't see any difference when I do finger prick tests.

It's got a half life in blood of around 12 hours, so after twelve hour half the dose has gone (Not *all* the tablet ends up in your bloodstream, around 60% or so, I believe.)

So I don't think missing tablets for a couple of days will cause much of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back