Metformin xr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz71

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I've been taking metformin xr for a few years now but take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening as someone said it helped with stomach issues, and to be fair it did help, however I've noticed now that my sugar levels are creeping up and thought maybe I should go back to taking the full dose once a day at night as recommended. Has anyone changed from twice to once daily and if so did you just switch the following day or did you take 1 in the morning and 3 at night for a few days first. Not sure how to go about it. Many thanks

Hi @Kaz71, I always take mine with a meal to avoid tummy issues. When I was on 4 per day I always had 2 with breakfast and 2 with my evening meal. This was on my DN's recommendation. Has anything in your diet changed which could explain the glucose increase? It may be worth a call to your DN just to check.

Hi and welcome.

With Metformin, it doesn't matter when you take it from an efficacy point of view as it slowly builds up in your system over time rather than individual doses having a set effect over the day, so taking it in 2 doses morning and night or once will not change it's potency but could upset your stomach. If you were to stop taking it, it takes more than a week to clear your system, so it really does have quite a long lasting impact, meaning that when you take the tablets doesn't change things.

Did you make dietary/lifestyle changes when you were diagnosed and if so what? Have you maintained those changes or have things slipped a bit.... Goodness knows we are all human! Maybe it is time to reassess your diet and exercise regime and give it a bit of extra effort.

What sort of increased readings are you seeing and when have you been testing?

Hi. With XR it doesn't really matter how and when you take it being slow release.

Hi @Kaz71, I always take mine with a meal to avoid tummy issues. When I was on 4 per day I always had 2 with breakfast and 2 with my evening meal. This was on my DN's recommendation. Has anything in your diet changed which could explain the glucose increase? It may be worth a call to your DN just to check.
Yes my GP has given me a few months to try and get it back under control otherwise she will have to add in another medication which I'm really not keen on, I've put on a few pounds and a considerably stressed t the moment which I know doesn't help, just hoping I can do something about it

Hi and welcome.

With Metformin, it doesn't matter when you take it from an efficacy point of view as it slowly builds up in your system over time rather than individual doses having a set effect over the day, so taking it in 2 doses morning and night or once will not change it's potency but could upset your stomach. If you were to stop taking it, it takes more than a week to clear your system, so it really does have quite a long lasting impact, meaning that when you take the tablets doesn't change things.

Did you make dietary/lifestyle changes when you were diagnosed and if so what? Have you maintained those changes or have things slipped a bit.... Goodness knows we are all human! Maybe it is time to reassess your diet and exercise regime and give it a bit of extra effort.

What sort of increased readings are you seeing and when have you been testing?
Yes admittedly diet not great at the moment and I have other health issues so an exercise regime is not feasible, however I could do more walking and we have an allotment so I'm there most days so am moving about, I don't really test it was my GP who did tests and said its gone up, only by a few points but still the wrong way. I was just wondering if taking them all at night instead of 2am and 2pm would have a bigger hit, especially as my levels are always really high in the morning

Yes admittedly diet not great at the moment and I have other health issues so an exercise regime is not feasible, however I could do more walking and we have an allotment so I'm there most days so am moving about, I don't really test it was my GP who did tests and said its gone up, only by a few points but still the wrong way. I was just wondering if taking them all at night instead of 2am and 2pm would have a bigger hit, especially as my levels are always really high in the morning
You may find taking the tablets with breakfast and your evening meal will help with any stomach issues as taking them when you are presumably it is not with food. Although they do not act directly on food it minimises any discomfort on the stomach.
It might be a good idea to test some of your meals with your blood glucose monitor which you imply you have to see if there are any meals which are too high in carbs for your body to tolerate, test before you eat and after 2 hours and no more than 2-3mmol/l would indicate the meal was OK.
I assume you are testing in the morning to know the level is high but it can depend on when you test as some people find their level goes up as soon as they get out of bed and potter about (referred to as foot on the floor syndrome) so testing in bed may give you a more accurate reading. What reading are you getting in the morning?

Likewise have an allotment and it is surprising how much walking about you do just doing jobs.

Walking is exercise and working in the allotment. Two of them best things you can do to lower your BG levels, but dietary changes will make the most difference. You levels being high on a morning is down to your liver releasing too much glucose. Having an evening walk can help that, reduce stress levels and help you sleep better.

What sort of things do you typically eat for breakfast, lunch and evening meal? Perhaps we can suggest some simple swaps you can make to improve things.

Do you know your readings from your recent tests at the doctors. Most of us find it helpful to get the actual readings so that we have a better idea of how we are managing our diabetes and track our progress. It keeps us focused and engaged and diabetes is all about taking responsibility and managing your own health condition with support from your medical professionals rather than just taking the tablets and hoping for the best.

well I went from 2 a day up until 3 months ago and was told to take 4 once a day now with my evening meal.

The time of day you take them wont affect how well they work, but could affect any side effects. I get no side effects when taking all 2g of my metformin with dinner, but i do get side effects if i took them in the morning. if you want to change from 2am/2pm i'd just not take the 2am one day and take 4pm instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back