Metformin Vs Gliclazide and Levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
So I was switched onto gliclazide (40mg dose at brekkie and dinner) last week after some tummy issues on metformin.

I had a fairly reasonable grasp on where my food/carb limits were with metformin and that seems to be out the window now.

Should I to expect to get about the same responses to carbs with gliclazide (if dose was right) as I would on metformin?

I'm trying to work out if my food needs to be re-adjusted or should the dose of gliclazide be adjusted to deal with the already much lower carb eating since diagnosis?
For example, a slice of seeded bread with some soup took me from 7s to 12s (on gliclazide) where metformin, would hardly impact on a single slice with soup, like +1-2 tops.

Also been getting hit and miss feet on floor readings (sleep is a bit messy too which I'm noticing a trend of high BG - bad sleep).
Feet on Floor Since Wed (ok up, pee and then prick)
9.5 10.6 11.3 8.4 20.8 15.9
I'm not eating properly when I wake up on a high morning (having a slice or two of cold meat for breakfast and lunch too if levels aren't down under at least 10 by then, basically using my gliclazide to bring me down and not set me up to the days food intake)

Advice welcomed. <3

With the change from metformin because of tummy upset did you ask if you were able to try the slow release metformin?

No. I was sorta surprised it didn't come up too.
Issues came to a head on the Thursday night (9th Dec) with major cramps and feeling like I was going to pass out.
Skipped Friday mornings dose and spoke to someone on the Friday. Was advised to start back on 1 tablet Monday morning and given omeprazole. By mid Monday afternoon was having cramps again (still taking omeprazole).
Called back, they asked what my bg was like over weekend and said they wanted to switch me to gliclazide. Not sure if that was related to bg (it was pretty out of control as the weekend went on).

You could maybe ask to try the slow release metformin? It’s a bit more expensive for them I believe so that may be why

My gut feeling is that you may be Type 1 rather than Type 2 and your pancreas is running dry of insulin production. The gliclazide should be having much more impact that the Metformin did if you are able to produce insulin in enough quantity.
I have been wondering this for quite a few days when you have been posting your waking reading on the other thread.... Just going to have a look at your intro thread to see if there is anything there to suggest Type 1...

Hi. The two drugs are very different. Metformin slightly reduces the amount of glucose the liver pushes out. Gliclazide stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin. If insulin resistance is your problem i would go back to metformin SR. If you are slim with a hint of being T1 then Gliclazide may be the best option. It can have a great effect so watch out for hypos if the dose is too high. I was on full dose Glic for several years and it worked well to start with but as my beta cells failed it stopped working (nothing to stimulate); I took Metformin SR as well.

when i was diagnosed with type 2 i started on gliclazide 80mg twice a day, it worked really well, although i did also adapt to a lower carb diet (100g carbs a day) but once my blood glucose came down to the required level, i started getting 4's on the blood monitor first thing in the morning, my diabetes nurse said to try half a tablet on the evening dose, but it didn't make any difference, so i was swapped to linagliptin, now im averaging a 5 or 6 in the morning, she explained to me that the gliclazide slowly released throught the day and had about a 12 hour efftect, after each dose, and that would be squeezing my pancreas to produce insulin 24/7? and linagliptin only kicked in when i started producing insulin, i also had the gad test, as my aunty was type 1 in her 40s, and i was fine also the cpeptide test came back i was producing a good amount of insulin, so i would of thought swapping to gliclazide from metformin your bg would be getting lower results ? if your type 2

3rd to today.jpg
Today I had some cottage cheese for breakfast with 1st dose and had a slim shake for lunch (+2 raise). Not tested yet since 3pm.
Just thought some hard data would be better to look at.

I never found Gliclazide particularly slow release even on the slow release version.
I gather it lasts for a period of around 10 hours according to DUK.

Called GPs and have a phone appointment for tomorrow morning and told to phone back today if needed etc. (they did ask nicely if it could wait until tomorrow).
This morning was 10.7 and going to eat "normally" and see how things go (by normally I do mean carb conscious with "metformin okay for me" foods) and see how it goes.

Meds changing to:
Gliclazide 40mg 1 daily in mornings
Metformin Slow Release 1 daily in evenings
(keep on 2 x gliclazide for a few days after starting to let it be effective)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back