Metformin v. Metformin SR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikklemo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
After 8 years on Metformin (2 x 500mg tablets twice a day) and no problems - over the past three months or so, I keep feeling really queasy for most of the day after taking my Metformin. After talking with my GP and trying several other anti-sickness medication, my GP has changed medication Metformin SR.

Has anyone else suffered from the queasy feeling or are any of you on Metformin SR and how does it compare to Metformin?

Mo.

After 8 years on Metformin (2 x 500mg tablets twice a day) and no problems - over the past three months or so, I keep feeling really queasy for most of the day after taking my Metformin. After talking with my GP and trying several other anti-sickness medication, my GP has changed medication Metformin SR.

Has anyone else suffered from the queasy feeling or are any of you on Metformin SR and how does it compare to Metformin?

Mo.
Dear Ikklemo,

I believe the SR stands for "slow release" and it is intended to reduce the castric effects that can happen when taking the standard form. I have no idea if it is as effective but I cannot see why it would not be (It is more expensive!).

Regards Dodger

I had bad side effects on metformin (mostly diarrhoea). Gave it 2 months and no change, so I was put on metformin slow release and I've had no problems since. I was horrified when I saw the size of the SR pills but I find them sooo much easier to swallow than the metformin ones, even though they're larger.

Metformin SR is ten times more expensive than metformin but if you have side effects, it's worth trying it out.

Dodger & Worzel

Thanks for the comments.

I must confess the size of the SR was a surprise! They certainly are easier to swallow though.

The difference in price is a surprise as well.

Mo

Mo.

Hi Ikklemo, I've only been on Metformin (500mg each tablet) for 2 months: at first I was on one a day, increased to 1am and 1pm and then 2am and 1 pm.
All that was OK but I have recently increased to 4 a day and I suddenly felt very queasy, like being on a rough sea crossing, and then 2 days ago I was dreadfully sick so I've dropped back to 3 a day. My surgery nurse says she will ask the Dr to issue the SR tablets when I next apply for a repeat (about a week's time) and I understand they are much better tolerated. I didn't realise they were so much more expensive though......Please let me know how you get on with the SR ones.

i stuck with the metformin for well over a year while suffering from terrible diarrhoea and not knowing why so i asked the doc and he said it was probably the metformin and said to try the sr and the result was almost immediate no more diarrhoea and i felt so much better, he did explain the reason they start you on metformin and not the sr is because the sr is so much more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back