Metformin - to continue or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bbbabs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello,

I was diagnosed with T2 last May with a HB1AC of 90. Since then, through a low card/deficit diet and plenty of exercise I have lost 4.5 stone and the number has now reduced to 38. I started taking 2 500g of metformin every day and then reduced that to one last October. My GP actually said I could stop taking them yesterday but I wanted to give it another 3 months to ensure I can maintain or even reduce further the blood measurement.

I understand that Metformin has other benefits as well as helping diabetics. My dentist has even pointed to improved gum health in a study.

Are there any disadvantages in staying on Metformin? I know that will not enable me to be sure I can get to full remission but the health benefits do some worthwhile?

There is information to suggest metformin affects the gut microbiome. I would think your Hba1C 38 is normal.

As for full remission, not sure if a once diabetic is ever out of the woods entirely, things happen in life that can cause a normal Hba1C to increase into diabetic levels again.

I started on 1 metformin, now I am on 3 a day, I hope I may be able to go back to 2 a day and 1 a day, but its unknown with age and life stresses mis management of diet, eating times etc.

If your doc said you can stop taking them I would personally go with that, your HbA1c levels can be rechecked at a later date and if need be you can go back on them.

Congratulations on your weight loss and recent results.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with T2 last May with a HB1AC of 90. Since then, through a low card/deficit diet and plenty of exercise I have lost 4.5 stone and the number has now reduced to 38. I started taking 2 500g of metformin every day and then reduced that to one last October. My GP actually said I could stop taking them yesterday but I wanted to give it another 3 months to ensure I can maintain or even reduce further the blood measurement.

I understand that Metformin has other benefits as well as helping diabetics. My dentist has even pointed to improved gum health in a study.

Are there any disadvantages in staying on Metformin? I know that will not enable me to be sure I can get to full remission but the health benefits do some worthwhile?

Same happened to me - 83 to 36 in three months with diet changes and weight loss. Metformin reduced to 500mg, next hba1c was 39 four months later. Last year the GP suggested stopping it, but I decided to carry on as I don't get any side effects. Not entirely sure how much effect 500mg has (Some research indicates 1500mg with 3 500mg doses staggered over the day, in order to keep the concentration up, is the lowest dose to have any clinical significance, but I have seen other research that shows 500mg can have a slight effect on slim T2s.)

I forget to take it quite often, though.

There are a lot of benefits cited, but it seems the research is a bit thin on the ground for a lot of it. Not heard anything about gum health, must look into that.

Low carb diet may be more relevant to gum health. It certainly seems to have been for me. I stopped metformin 3.5 years ago after just 6 months but gum health is far better now than it has been for years if not decades.

My dentist has even pointed to improved gum health in a study.
That's far more likely down to you having cut down on sugar and carbs.

High blood sugar can lead to gum disease. Reducing hba1c from 90 will improve gum health.

Poor circulation in the area and the lack of saliva (diabetes can affect saliva glands) leads to a great environment for bacteria.

High blood sugar can lead to gum disease. Reducing hba1c from 90 will improve gum health.
Absolutely. HbA1c 83 => 30's made a huge difference to my gum health.

Sounds like its a very personal decision @Bbbabs

Your Dr is happy for you to stop taking the Metformin, and the benefits of such a low dose seem marginal, but you have to decide the time is right for you.

Give yourself a lot of credit for the positive changes you have made, and the weight you have lost. Those are likely to be the major part of your improved glucose levels and reduced insulin resistance. Met might be helping a little, but I suspect the majority of the improvements are your own work 🙂

A disadvantage is that you will have to start paying for any other prescriptions if you come off diabetes meds. Shouldn’t be a deciding factor but bear it in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back