Metformin Timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody/wool

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Metformin for about 20 years and have just come to the conclusion Im taking it at the wrong time of day!!! Im on 500mg x 2 a day. (Sukkarto SR). I take one at breakfast and one at dinner. Alongside Alogliptin and 1/2 tab Gliclazide.. My main question is - can I take the two Mets(or even all my diabetes meds) at the same time and when is the best time.

I only tried to take Metformin for a few weeks and had to stop it, but it is something which accumulates and inhibits the release of glucose by your liver, so just take it whenever convenient.
Can't help with the other medications.

It's a drug designed to accumulate in your body. It doesn't really matter when you take it.
As an aside, I recently read on this site the minimum effective dose is 1500mg, what sort of BG/hba1c are you holding?

It says on my prescription that I should take one with breakfast and one with dinner, but I tried that and kept forgetting, so I take one with my morning meds and one with my evening meds as I read what the others have said about it being an accumulating drug. It works for me - and hopefully works!!

I‘ve changed the thread title so that other members who are interested will be aware of the topic - hope that’s OK 🙂

Some members over the years seem to have found it easier on the tum to ramp-up the doses of Metformin gradually, so I wonder if spreading your doses through the day rather than taking them all at once might be a little gentler on the stomach?

For dose timings I would suggest either chatting to your GP or nurse, or popping into a local pharmacy and asking the pharmacist - they should be able to help 🙂

Slow release metformin is reccomended to be taken once a day with your evening meal. This should be explained on the leaflet inside the box. It doesn’t cause harm to take it split into multiple doses of preferred so long as you don’t physically split the tablets.

I‘ve changed the thread title so that other members who are interested will be aware of the topic - hope that’s OK 🙂

Some members over the years seem to have found it easier on the tum to ramp-up the doses of Metformin gradually, so I wonder if spreading your doses through the day rather than taking them all at once might be a little gentler on the stomach?

For dose timings I would suggest either chatting to your GP or nurse, or popping into a local pharmacy and asking the pharmacist - they should be able to help 🙂
It’s the regular metformin that is supposed to be spread through the day not the slow release one 🙂

Thanks for clarifying @Lucyr 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back