Metformin - stomach issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

notmez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Metformin users.

500mg pills.

How have you been getting on? I haven't managed to get up to the prescribed dose yet and while the first week (@ 1 pill a day) was uneventful (some minor issues) every single time I dose up to 2 pills. (1breakfast and 1 dinner) within a day I'm having some more serious stomach issues.

So I continue on just 1 pill for a few more days before adding the second and i have the same issue again.

It's got to the point where a couple of times I've not left the house that day because of it. I restarted the 2nd pill again last night and shortly after my breakfast pill I started to feel crappy again. I was a few things planned this morning but I've cancelled them all. I don't think I'll be leaving the house until much later in the day.

Ill be bringing it up when I'm at the doctors and they've already mentioned a slow release alternative but wanted to know if those were any better? If you've had issues with the pills and then been put on slow release has that been better for you.

Some find slow release help,and some don't.
That's annoying. Guess like everything it's very individual.
Hopefully I can tolerate them because what I'm on now is causing my problems when I have 2 don't even want to think about taking the full 4 per day.

Hi Notmez, if you're struggling with metformin and your digestive system, please go back to the GP and ask for something else (or slow release if you're not on that). Some people just don't get on with it, you shouldn't have to cancel your plans due to "digestive issues".
There's lots of other diabetes medication that the GP can offer you if metformin is making you poorly.
Phone the GPs on Monday and make an appointment. Tell the receptionist about your symptoms and that it's a side effect to metformin and they you can't keep taking it.
Best wishes, Sarah

What dietary changes have you made as that can make just as much difference to blood glucose levels as the metformin. If you are OK with the 1 tablet then stick with that and look at your diet as an alternative to increasing the dose. If that doesn't work then there are other medications.
Perhaps if you post the sort of meals you are having then people may spot things which may be problem foods.

I started on Metformin and like you, they gave me stomach problems I was then given another which wasn't quite as bad but still wasn't happy with it, finally, now I'm on Glicklazide I've had no side effects at all.
But what is good for one isn't necessarily suitable for another as everyone is different. It's trial and error I'm afraid.

I already have an appointment booked in for the week after and trying to get one earlier probably won't be very likely but I'll definitely bring up the issues at that appointment and if I can earlier via the phone if they call back as its not fun at all.

So far in my diet the only changes I've made is related to reduced junk food. A large reduction in carbs. For evening meals I've reduced the carbs but I'm mostly eating the same foods in smaller portions. So I'm eating less food, less sat fat and less carbs. I wouldn't say there is any increase in vegetables as my diet is already high in vegetables.

Breakfast has removed all the croissants and stuff like that I'm still having toast but maybe only 1 slice. Smaller portions of cereal on days I have that. Breakfast is under 20g carbs.

Crisps and biscuits have gone from everyday to only 1 and only a couple of times per week.

Evening meals have smaller portions of rice/potatoes well over half or ¾ less.

Thanks for the info folks. I get/guess it's going to be a bit of trial and error until the drs find something that that doesn't cause issues for me

I already have an appointment booked in for the week after and trying to get one earlier probably won't be very likely but I'll definitely bring up the issues at that appointment and if I can earlier via the phone if they call back as its not fun at all.

So far in my diet the only changes I've made is related to reduced junk food. A large reduction in carbs. For evening meals I've reduced the carbs but I'm mostly eating the same foods in smaller portions. So I'm eating less food, less sat fat and less carbs. I wouldn't say there is any increase in vegetables as my diet is already high in vegetables.

Breakfast has removed all the croissants and stuff like that I'm still having toast but maybe only 1 slice. Smaller portions of cereal on days I have that. Breakfast is under 20g carbs.

Crisps and biscuits have gone from everyday to only 1 and only a couple of times per week.

Evening meals have smaller portions of rice/potatoes well over half or ¾ less.

Thanks for the info folks. I get/guess it's going to be a bit of trial and error until the drs find something that that doesn't cause issues for me
You do seem to have made some good changes so it may be worth while asking about sticking with the 1 tablet until your next HbA1C to see if that has been sufficient to reduce blood glucose.
Otherwise you could get a home testing blood glucose monitor to find out if the carbs you are having in the portion size you are still having are being tolerated, if so then you may be OK with the dose you are taking.
The monitor would tell you if the foods were tolerated by testing before you eat and after 2 hours when an increase of less than 3mmol/l would be fine.
Monitors can be bought on line but it is the cost of the test strips to look at as there can be a big difference in price between strips for different monitors so worth shopping around.
This link may give you some more ideas. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

.Otherwise you could get a home testing blood glucose monitor

That was the plan, I was originally looking at buying one because of what I had read here and how uncommon they are in my community for T2, but the surgery agreed to give me one, that's why my next visit is really soon l, I'll have a monitor by the end of the month.

I'll bring up the diet changes and the possibility of just one pill but will take whatever advice they give.

The low carb diet and exercise increase has already lost me a few kg and put me back in to the green for BMI and I'm on my way to loosing my second inch around the waist. If I can keep it off for a couple of months I'll be happy as its more likely to stay off.

Hi Metformin users.

500mg pills.

How have you been getting on? I haven't managed to get up to the prescribed dose yet and while the first week (@ 1 pill a day) was uneventful (some minor issues) every single time I dose up to 2 pills. (1breakfast and 1 dinner) within a day I'm having some more serious stomach issues.

So I continue on just 1 pill for a few more days before adding the second and i have the same issue again.

It's got to the point where a couple of times I've not left the house that day because of it. I restarted the 2nd pill again last night and shortly after my breakfast pill I started to feel crappy again. I was a few things planned this morning but I've cancelled them all. I don't think I'll be leaving the house until much later in the day.

Ill be bringing it up when I'm at the doctors and they've already mentioned a slow release alternative but wanted to know if those were any better? If you've had issues with the pills and then been put on slow release has that been better for you.
I was talking to a friend this morning who has been diabetic for a number of years (I'm only just diagnosed a few days ago, appt in 4 days with practice nurse where I'll find out what meds they want me on etc, and my actual numbers so I can decide whether to accept the recommendations or ask to try diet & exercise for a while). She was saying that her experience with Metformin was that initially on starting/increase of dose she had increased GI symptoms but that they eased after a time, whereas fluctuating between one and two she found that they kept recurring. So if your numbers mean that increasing dose is recommended, it may be that setting aside a few days to a week to allow adjustment and just take the 2 each day may be worth it, to see if the symptoms then reduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back