Metformin & Statins effects on joints.

indio02

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been away for a while trying to normalise my life into it not being diabetes 24/7. My most recent hba1c was 49, down a bit but not as much as I would have liked. Was told to have another test in November.
Have been suffering quite badly with joint pain especially in the shoulders and elbows. Had calcified tendonitis in my right shoulder that needed a steroid injection. It's now fine but the left shoulder & elbow are now getting painful. My hamstring also seem to be very tender most of the time if I try to do anything more than a slow jog.
Was wondering, having been on metformin (4×500 daily) & statins for 18 months is there a connection?
Thanks

Been away for a while trying to normalise my life into it not being diabetes 24/7. My most recent hba1c was 49, down a bit but not as much as I would have liked. Was told to have another test in November.
Have been suffering quite badly with joint pain especially in the shoulders and elbows. Had calcified tendonitis in my right shoulder that needed a steroid injection. It's now fine but the left shoulder & elbow are now getting painful. My hamstring also seem to be very tender most of the time if I try to do anything more than a slow jog.
Was wondering, having been on metformin (4×500 daily) & statins for 18 months is there a connection?
Thanks
Metformin can affect your ability to absorb vitamin B12 from foods so your level may be low and that can affect joint and muscles so worth getting that checked. Statins can also affect some people causing joint and muscle weakness.
I have arthritis in my shoulders and all sorts of random joint and muscle pain yet every blood test is absolutely normal, just age and wear and tear, who knows.

I stopped taking statins as they affected my legs, so far no problem with Metformin although I have B12 injections now

When diagnosed I was prescribed Atorvastatin and Metformin, and in a couple of weeks I could no longer walk to the shops. In a month I was housebound.
I have been told it was psychosomatic.
My memory was affected too.
It took 18 months for the last niggling pain to subside, some time longer to restore my memory - I studied my song book and diaries, but I think that true memories came back eventually - but I can never be sure.
I suspect that many people who are affected are never regarded as actually in trouble - just told it's all in the mind

Back