Metformin slow Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tish

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have been Type 2 for 5 years and been diet controlled up to 3 months ago.
I had kept my numbers in Prediabetic ranges until this last visit where I was H1bc of 53. I was prepared to go onto Metformin as I new this was back in diabetic ranges. But my diabetic nurse was telling me how amazing I am doing, how that’s considered well controlled as a diabetic, that anything between 49 and 58 in a diabetic is considered well controlled and I should be proud of myself. Thst was until I mentioned that I had prepared myself for being put on Metformin, to which she replied “why what are u on” I said nothing diet controlled. Then it all changed. That I can’t be 53 and diet controlled that my number needs to be lower - and she convinced me to take the metformin, 3 a day 3 times a day. But they have been causing me terrible stomach pains, feeling sick constantly, even still now after changing to taking them just once a day in the evening, I haven’t even managed to get to the 3rd tablet one because I keep a check of my bloods and I am running at 6.7 in the morning oh two tablets but 2 I don’t think my stomach could physically take any more.
I am wondering do I really need to be on them? I am confused by how amazing my number of 53 was before she realized I was diet controlled. Surely the number is the number regardless? I could be at 53 for another 5 years like I was at pre-diabetic? I really want to just come off these tablets and go back to diet controlled. Advice would be very much appreciated

Sorry but that absolutely makes no sense to me whatsoever! Surely not being on meds makes that a better achievement?? If I were you I would give her a call and say you are having big tummy troubles and now that you have had time to mull over what she said, could she please apply some logic. Unless I’m missing something, this is very odd ??

Have you gone straight onto 3 tablets? Normally you would build them up to get used to the side effects so one a day for a couple of weeks then two etc

Sorry but that absolutely makes no sense to me whatsoever! Surely not being on meds makes that a better achievement?? If I were you I would give her a call and say you are having big tummy troubles and now that you have had time to mull over what she said, could she please apply some logic. Unless I’m missing something, this is very odd ??
Yes that is exactly what I am thinking. I just can’t get my head around it, now I’ve had a chance to really think about it. Thanks

when are you taking them in regards to your meals? Taking them halfway through the meal can help the tummy issues for some peeps.
(as well as building them up like Lucy suggested)

Have you gone straight onto 3 tablets? Normally you would build them up to get used to the side effects so one a day for a couple of weeks then two etc
No, I took one tablet at first for a few weeks, then increased, but the tummy problems are there constantly, so I asked if I could change to taking them both in the evening, but that hasn’t helped either, I think I might ring and have a chat with my doctor, see if I can come off them, they really do not agree with me and it’s been nearly 3 months now

when are you taking them in regards to your meals? Taking them halfway through the meal can help the tummy issues for some peeps.
Changing the timing can help too. I get a bad stomach if I take them with breakfast but no trouble at all if I take them all just after dinner, which is a more substantial meal

I take them both after my evening meal. I have built them up slowly, and changed from twice a day to both in the evening, but still getting the issues unfortunately

also (and you only have to be honest with yourself here)
Has stuff changed within your diet to let things slide a little and do you think you could regain that control?

End of the day, its your body and you choose to take or not take meds.

I couldn't tolerate metformin in any way and meds were changed to gliclazide.
Wasn't a big effort to get that to happen 🙂
If you can't tolerate, you just can't. Its that simple 🙂

No, I have been on them for around 2-3 months and started with one tablet. I check my sugars so have only gone up to 2 rather than 3. But still getting terrible tummy issues

also (and you only have to be honest with yourself here)
Has stuff changed within your diet to let things slide a little and do you think you could regain that control?

End of the day, its your body and you choose to take or not take meds.

I couldn't tolerate metformin in any way and meds were changed to gliclazide.
Wasn't a big effort to get that to happen 🙂
If you can't tolerate, you just can't. Its that simple 🙂
Yes if I am honest, my diet isn’t as good, I have more processed foods rather than cook from scratch. I went no carb when I reversed it before, but I know I couldn’t do that again, it was one of the hardest things I have tried.
So maybe asking to change to something else might be the answer then? Metformin def does not agree with me that is for sure.
Thanks for the advice

While super low carb can totally work for a lot of people (and I totally take my hat off to them), it comes down to what is sustainable for everyone individually.

Controlling for that amount of time is amazing and if you feel meds and moderate changes are more suitable for you, then go with what works within your lifestyle.

Did you ever get a bg meter? I (or most T2s here) can explain some tips to seeing what foods are problem foods for you and maybe find some you have cut out in the past that might be okay.
If you end up on gliclazide, they would likely give you a bg meter as it does come with a hypo risk so don't rush out to buy one just yet. You have a right to ask for one and strips on prescription on that 😉

Let us know how you get on with the GP or whoever you get to speak to. Do mention to reception that you are having issues with your meds so they don't palm you off for an appointment weeks ahead. It can all be done over the phone too.

Yes if I am honest, my diet isn’t as good, I have more processed foods rather than cook from scratch. I went no carb when I reversed it before, but I know I couldn’t do that again, it was one of the hardest things I have tried.
So maybe asking to change to something else might be the answer then? Metformin def does not agree with me that is for sure.
Thanks for the advice
I think, if it was me, I would be tempted to take a closer look at my diet. 53 isn't that high, and it's quite possible that some adjustments could bring you back down just that little bit so medication isn't needed. People are very individual in what foods thay can tolerate, and by following a blood testing regime it's quite possible that you might discover your diet can be much more flexible than you fear - it's definitely not 'all or nothing' 🙂 One of the reasons that we have this variation in tolerances for things is thought to be connected to the 'gut biome', the collection of special bacteria we all carry in our gut that helps to process the food we eat - this is unique in its composition for every individual, it's just a case of finding what keeps your own happy! 🙂

If you haven't already, have a read of Test, Review, Adjust by Alan S which describes how to set about testing your reactions to different meal choices in a methodical way. You will need to invest in a meter and test strips, but it is most certainly worth the investment even if you only use it for the purposes of establishing a more suitable diet 🙂

Another thing that can be helpful to discover is how variable your levels are - levels that fluctuate greatly are more of a problem than levels that might be at a sustained higher level, but steadier. This can be a good detail to know behind that HbA1c reading and testing will help you discover this 🙂

One thing I should add, if relevant to you - in England if you are on any medication for diabetes then all your prescriptions are free - for any condition or reason. Metformin would qualify you for this, so might be a consideration.

While super low carb can totally work for a lot of people (and I totally take my hat off to them), it comes down to what is sustainable for everyone individually.

Controlling for that amount of time is amazing and if you feel meds and moderate changes are more suitable for you, then go with what works within your lifestyle.

Did you ever get a bg meter? I (or most T2s here) can explain some tips to seeing what foods are problem foods for you and maybe find some you have cut out in the past that might be okay.
If you end up on gliclazide, they would likely give you a bg meter as it does come with a hypo risk so don't rush out to buy one just yet. You have a right to ask for one and strips on prescription on that 😉

Let us know how you get on with the GP or whoever you get to speak to. Do mention to reception that you are having issues with your meds so they don't palm you off for an appointment weeks ahead. It can all be done over the phone too.
Ye
I think, if it was me, I would be tempted to take a closer look at my diet. 53 isn't that high, and it's quite possible that some adjustments could bring you back down just that little bit so medication isn't needed. People are very individual in what foods thay can tolerate, and by following a blood testing regime it's quite possible that you might discover your diet can be much more flexible than you fear - it's definitely not 'all or nothing' 🙂 One of the reasons that we have this variation in tolerances for things is thought to be connected to the 'gut biome', the collection of special bacteria we all carry in our gut that helps to process the food we eat - this is unique in its composition for every individual, it's just a case of finding what keeps your own happy! 🙂

If you haven't already, have a read of Test, Review, Adjust by Alan S which describes how to set about testing your reactions to different meal choices in a methodical way. You will need to invest in a meter and test strips, but it is most certainly worth the investment even if you only use it for the purposes of establishing a more suitable diet 🙂

Another thing that can be helpful to discover is how variable your levels are - levels that fluctuate greatly are more of a problem than levels that might be at a sustained higher level, but steadier. This can be a good detail to know behind that HbA1c reading and testing will help you discover this 🙂

One thing I should add, if relevant to you - in England if you are on any medication for diabetes then all your prescriptions are free - for any condition or reason. Metformin would qualify you for this, so might be a consideration.
Yes I think I might just do that. I already have a blood monitor and ate to my mo it or when I was first diagnosed. I know I have let things laspe more over the past couple of years. So maybe I should speak with my GP and see if I can give diet control another go.

Absolutely run with whatever suits YOU.

I wish you every bit of success with stomping your bg back to lower numbers. x

Are you taking Slow Release Metformin or the standard version. Insist you are swapped to SR if you are not already on that version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back