Metformin slow release

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayne01

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone. Iv been on metformin slow release for over a year. Was on normal metformin before. Did not agree with me lots of diarrhea and tummy issues. I have tried other meds but make me gain weight. So on metformin again .I do have tummy issues cramps and diarrhea at times but always seem to have something be it mild
Is this normal. Sometimes it gets me down terribly. Any advice or reassurance would help. Thank you

Unfortunately there is no "normal" with Metformin. Some like me tolerate it with no issues at all & some seem to need the loo as soon as they see the packet! You seem to be somewhere in the middle. If you haven't already, try taking it towards the end of the meal. If that doesn't help & you have exhausted all other oral options, you may have to consider discussing going on to insulin with your practice.

Last edited:
Hi Jayne01, If I were you, I'd go back to the doctor and ask to have a different medication. There's lots of other ones for them to consider (including insulin), but I'd be surprised if there wasn't an oral medication that you can try first.

Also, ask if they're doing the low calorie meal replacement trail in your area (I think it may be only England, but you can ask your GP). The low calorie diet was developed in partnership with Diabetes UK and aims to put you into diabetic remission via weight loss. I understand if you go on the meal replacement, you stop diabetes medication altogether, and go on a very low calorie diet for a couple of months. I didn't follow this exact diet, as it wasn't offered in my area at the time, but I went on my own low calorie diet for a few months, and then on 1500 calories a day until I hit my target weight, and I've been taken off my metformin and have an HbA1c which isn't in the diabetic range now, from this weight loss and dieting. This might not be the right approach for you, but it's worth considering.

Whatever you decide, talk to your GP. Life's too short to feel terrible from your medication.
I hope you get something sorted, Sarah

Some seem to be only able to tolerate certain doses and if they up it they have problems.
There are many differnt medications for Type 2.

Hi Jayne01, If I were you, I'd go back to the doctor and ask to have a different medication. There's lots of other ones for them to consider (including insulin), but I'd be surprised if there wasn't an oral medication that you can try first.

Also, ask if they're doing the low calorie meal replacement trail in your area (I think it may be only England, but you can ask your GP). The low calorie diet was developed in partnership with Diabetes UK and aims to put you into diabetic remission via weight loss. I understand if you go on the meal replacement, you stop diabetes medication altogether, and go on a very low calorie diet for a couple of months. I didn't follow this exact diet, as it wasn't offered in my area at the time, but I went on my own low calorie diet for a few months, and then on 1500 calories a day until I hit my target weight, and I've been taken off my metformin and have an HbA1c which isn't in the diabetic range now, from this weight loss and dieting. This might not be the right approach for you, but it's worth considering.

Whatever you decide, talk to your GP. Life's too short to feel terrible from your medication.
I hope you get something sorted, Sarah
Thank you Sarah. Yes that would be a great option. I will check. Thank you so much for your reply xx

I was just on the regular Metformin and intermittent stomach cramps, wind and loose stools were an occasional and acceptable side effect for me. Some people find that different brands of the slow release cause them more side effects than others so if you find you get prescribed a different brand each time you visit the pharmacy and digestive issues are more of a problem with one brand than another, then ask your GP to prescribe a named brand which doesn't cause you problems and if your pharmacy is unable to fulfil that prescription then ring around until you find somewhere that can. I believe it is the coating and binding agents in different brands which cause issues for some people.

In general though Metformin is nowhere near as effective as making changes to your diet and relying solely on the medication to manage your diabetes is a fools errand, so it may be a better option to make some dietary changes, be that low carb, or a low calorie program as mentioned by @Windy with a view to reducing or completely removing the need for Metformin or other medication, if you have tried other meds and they cause weight gain. Making the right dietary changes for you and your diabetes and your lifestyle is a huge part of god diabetes management or indeed pushing it into remission if you are able.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back