Status
Not open for further replies.

gll

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey all 🙂

Been on metformin for 6 weeks ish (2 x 500mg). First few days had a few stomach cramps and feeling a bit blegh. Settled down. Didn't really notice a change when I doubled the dose after the first week.

Last few days had the odd tummy twinge a bit of bloat but tonight tummy has been hurting in waves, felt very sick and head was spinning and felt like I was going to pass out.
Blood sugar was okay (ish) (9.4) blood pressure I caught it at 160/99 but settled down within 10 mins after the dizziness passed (126/86).
Still a bit dizzy but cramps have settled a bit.

Anyone else had side effects this far in? (not even sure metformin is to blame).

Will call GP in the morning but not sure if I should skip tomorrow morning's dose until I have spoken to them.

Metformin is well-known for causing stomach/bowel issues. Ask the GP to swap you over to the Slow Release version Metformin SR

Are you taking anything for the hypertension?

Reactions: gll
ramipril 2.5mg but also confirmed white coat syndrome (2 week average at home is 120/80 as of a week ago).
Kept on low dose ramipril while dealing with oedema stuff (furosemide 20mg daily for that and bloods next week then look at increasing if they are okay)

So after doctors phonecall.
No metformin at all until Monday and start on single dose for the week before doubling to see if it is down to that or the break settles issues.
Gotta pick up a script for omeprazole.
Call out of hours if BG hits 22+ or I'm very unwell or GPs on Monday morning if its the same but not worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back