Metformin side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBuck

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was put on Metformin slow release 500x2 mg twice a day last November. The drug worked well to control my blood sugar and I stayed free from taking fast acting insulin. However, the side effects of the drugs are getting worse. I have diarrhea at least a couple of times after taking the pills. I suffer from nausea and dizziness. Muscle weakness, reduced appetite and losing weight. My GP advised me to stop taking it. I am waiting for advice from the diabetes clinic.
Have anybody come across this problem? Your comment are welcome .

I had a very violent reaction to Metformin, and the statin prescribed with it, so I stopped taking it.
I am eating a maximum of 40gm of carbs a day to stay in normal numbers, but is seems perfectly doable and I plan to stay eating this way for the foreseeable future.
It did take some time to recover from the side effects, but they faded fairly fast it was just the niggling aches and pains which took time to subside.
Do you eat low carb?

There are other oral medications other than metformin which would be an option before insulin so unless those as well as dietary changes are not successful would insulin be the way you would need to consider.
What is your HbA1C as that is a good indicator of where you are at, but has the weight loss been as a result of dietary changes or a rapid loss and do you need to lose weight.

There are other oral medications other than metformin which would be an option before insulin so unless those as well as dietary changes are not successful would insulin be the way you would need to consider.
What is your HbA1C as that is a good indicator of where you are at, but has the weight loss been as a result of dietary changes or a rapid loss and do you need to lose weight.
Thanks for the message. My case is rather complicated. I am already under weight and suffering from insulin resistance. On top of that, I have Lipodystrophy. I lost about three kilos since starting Metformin last December, losing weight is a definite NO NO for me . Metformin don't make people lose weight but the side effects of worsening diarrhea, losing appetite, nausea, and muscle weakness, etc are damaging. My GP told me to stop the medicine. DM clinic is to arrange a consultation for me in a few weeks time. The waiting doesn't seem to be helpful. Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for the message. My case is rather complicated. I am already under weight and suffering from insulin resistance. On top of that, I have Lipodystrophy. I lost about three kilos since starting Metformin last December, losing weight is a definite NO NO for me . Metformin don't make people lose weight but the side effects of worsening diarrhea, losing appetite, nausea, and muscle weakness, etc are damaging. My GP told me to stop the medicine. DM clinic is to arrange a consultation for me in a few weeks time. The waiting doesn't seem to be helpful. Has anyone experienced this before?
There has been a few mentions of lipodystrophy but in relation to it developing at insulin injection sites.
Metformin is usually prescribed when people need to lose weight so they will also make dietary changes in reducing carbohydrates and it is that that will result in weight loss. So those who don't need to lose weight need to compensate by eating more protein and healthy fats but that is not necessarily appropriate for everyone. It is always more tricky when you have to juggle multiple conditions.
What is your HbA1C as that will indicate what may be required.

Lipodystrophy could be caused by injection site issues, of which is a commonly known condition. However, there are some rare cases, such as generalised lipodystrophy, that is more complicated to treat, is not just more intake of protein and nutrients.
Diabetes is a complicated condition, there are still many research required for a better future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back