Metformin side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesyv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello
I was diagnosed with type 2 in October last year and put on Metformin 3 times a day.
All seemed to be ok, until February this year when I started to feel quite unwell, a lot of the time.
A dreadful feeling of anxiety nearly all day, every day. Sometimes feeling like I’m going to pass out, other times feeling like a power surge in my stomach.
I’ve spoken to my GP and diabetic nurse about this on numerous occasions and am told that I’m likely suffering from bad anxiety at the moment.
I have had anxiety in the past, but NOTHING on this scale.
My question is - have any of you experienced side effects from Metformin a number of months in…
Or indeed have you experienced these weird ‘power surge’ symptoms that feel like constant intense butterflies in your stomach?
I thought I’d been doing ok with my medication and I’d managed to halve the amount of sugar in my blood, which medics are really pleased about, but I’ve been left feeling really quite ‘off’ for the last 4 months with nothing really improving for me.
I should add I’m 34, have two young children and work early in the morning (5am starts) which I don’t think helps my situation to be honest as I’m often tired and hungry.
Any response will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello
I was diagnosed with type 2 in October last year and put on Metformin 3 times a day.
All seemed to be ok, until February this year when I started to feel quite unwell, a lot of the time.
A dreadful feeling of anxiety nearly all day, every day. Sometimes feeling like I’m going to pass out, other times feeling like a power surge in my stomach.
I’ve spoken to my GP and diabetic nurse about this on numerous occasions and am told that I’m likely suffering from bad anxiety at the moment.
I have had anxiety in the past, but NOTHING on this scale.
My question is - have any of you experienced side effects from Metformin a number of months in…
Or indeed have you experienced these weird ‘power surge’ symptoms that feel like constant intense butterflies in your stomach?
I thought I’d been doing ok with my medication and I’d managed to halve the amount of sugar in my blood, which medics are really pleased about, but I’ve been left feeling really quite ‘off’ for the last 4 months with nothing really improving for me.
I should add I’m 34, have two young children and work early in the morning (5am starts) which I don’t think helps my situation to be honest as I’m often tired and hungry.
Any response will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Metformin can cause stomach issues for some people but it is usually at the outset, however some have reported that problem have suddenly started to occur and it has been the specific brand of metformin that had been dispensed that was causing the problem.
Good that your blood glucose has reduced so look upon that as a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back