Metformin side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Can anyone advise a T2D? On Metformin 500mg couple years, no issues. In May increased to 1000mg as hba1c 7. Done again September and 6.9 at which point they increased to 2000mg. Bad effects so reduced to 1500mg October. Side effects ongoing/worsening with severe nausea and diarrhoea. So started SR Metformin last Monday. Still awful gastric issues so by now I feel basically awful. They decided to do tests and my calproctin test came back with high inflammatory markers so now they want to do urgent colonoscopy (also on naproxen which can affect results too). FITT test negative. Was told this with very sombre voice which obviously has increased anxiety. I keep saying this has literally all started since September since Metformin started being played with but no one is even hearing me. I know Metformin doesn't agree with everyone. Quite simply I dont know what to do next....

Can anyone advise a T2D? On Metformin 500mg couple years, no issues. In May increased to 1000mg as hba1c 7. Done again September and 6.9 at which point they increased to 2000mg. Bad effects so reduced to 1500mg October. Side effects ongoing/worsening with severe nausea and diarrhoea. So started SR Metformin last Monday. Still awful gastric issues so by now I feel basically awful. They decided to do tests and my calproctin test came back with high inflammatory markers so now they want to do urgent colonoscopy (also on naproxen which can affect results too). FITT test negative. Was told this with very sombre voice which obviously has increased anxiety. I keep saying this has literally all started since September since Metformin started being played with but no one is even hearing me. I know Metformin doesn't agree with everyone. Quite simply I dont know what to do next....
Nobody here can give you worthwhile medical advice, but from what you say, if I were I'd make the colonscopy the main priority.

If you do have UC or Crohn's or whatever, that's presumably a lot more important than any bad reaction to metformin, and I'd want to know what's going with that first. Also, FWIW, I believe there are pretty effective treatments these days for those kinds of conditions but you'd want to jump on them quickly.

Also, if the colonoscopy is happening fairly soon then I doubt temporarily stopping the metformin would cause much harm, if you want to try that. It's more of a long term medication.

Nobody here can give you worthwhile medical advice, but from what you say, if I were I'd make the colonscopy the main priority.

If you do have UC or Crohn's or whatever, that's presumably a lot more important than any bad reaction to metformin, and I'd want to know what's going with that first. Also, FWIW, I believe there are pretty effective treatments these days for those kinds of conditions but you'd want to jump on them quickly.

Also, if the colonoscopy is happening fairly soon then I doubt temporarily stopping the metformin would cause much harm, if you want to try that. It's more of a long term medication.

Thanks though. I suppose I was just thinking to be perfectly fine until the Metformin was increased , reduced, increased in such a short space of time that was likely to be responsible. But you are right

It does seem a shame that the metformin was increase as your HbA1C was not desperately high and a bit more attention to your diet would most likely have been sufficient.
A few people have reported that they were fine on the lower dose but as soon as it was increased, they had dreadful stomach problems.
My otherhalf has had Crohn's for many years but largely asymptomatic with occasional flame ups, but always shows quite high calprotectin level. He recently had what he thought was a flame up, but it turned out to be appendicitis despite having had his appendix out 55years ago, apparently a rare condition called stump appendicitis. He is to have a colonoscopy to see if it needs surgery.
He takes medication for the Crohn's which keeps it managed.
There are other medications for the diabetes if that is needed though.
You might find this link useful to see if there are any changes you can make to your diet that would help with the blood glucose levels. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

It does seem a shame that the metformin was increase as your HbA1C was not desperately high and a bit more attention to your diet would most likely have been sufficient.
A few people have reported that they were fine on the lower dose but as soon as it was increased, they had dreadful stomach problems.
My otherhalf has had Crohn's for many years but largely asymptomatic with occasional flame ups, but always shows quite high calprotectin level. He recently had what he thought was a flame up, but it turned out to be appendicitis despite having had his appendix out 55years ago, apparently a rare condition called stump appendicitis. He is to have a colonoscopy to see if it needs surgery.
He takes medication for the Crohn's which keeps it managed.
There are other medications for the diabetes if that is needed though.
You might find this link useful to see if there are any changes you can make to your diet that would help with the blood glucose levels. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Thank you and for the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back