Metformin side effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audrey Margaret

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello
Been type 2 about 4 years. Took gilcaside and 2 metformin daily. After about 2 years I started to have awful diarrhoea and reduced to 1 and diarrhoea stopped.
Unfortunately sugar level went up and have just had to go back to 2 daily plus gilcaside.
Immediately I again have terrible diarrhoea. Is there any alternative to metformin which doesn't have this side effect?
Feel terrible about this and really dont know which way to turn.
Your help would be appreciated.
Thankyou

Hi Audrey Margaret, sorry to hear about the problems that metformin is giving you. I don't know if you're taking the "regular metformin" or the slow release one, but if you're not having the slow release one, you should ask your GP if you can have a prescription for that instead, as it's meant to be kinder on your digestive system. Also, it's meant to be kinder if you take it with your meal, but you may already be doing that.
Otherwise, there's lots of other medications that your GP can prescribe instead - go back to them and explain how ill metformin is making you feel and ask if they can give you another tablet to try. Metformin isn't right for you if it's making you poorly.
I hope you get something sorted soon,
Best wishes, Sarah

Sarah
Thankyou for the reply.
I am on slow release metformin and I could cope with 1, but the 2nd one is the one causing awful diarrhea. If things don't improve quickly, I will have to look for alternatives.
I note that you have largely controlled your diabetes via weight loss. Am I right?
I am just on 14st. I am careful with my diet but I cant seem to lose weight unfortunately.

Sarah
Thankyou for the reply.
I am on slow release metformin and I could cope with 1, but the 2nd one is the one causing awful diarrhea. If things don't improve quickly, I will have to look for alternatives.
I note that you have largely controlled your diabetes via weight loss. Am I right?
I am just on 14st. I am careful with my diet but I cant seem to lose weight unfortunately.
When you say careful with your diet, what exactly do you mean as many people think they are eating a healthy diet which it would be if not Type 2 diabetic but sadly is not so if you are. There is often too much emphasis on brown carbs and low fat whereas protein and healthy fats do not convert to glucose but ALL carbohydrates do.
Have a look at this link to see how it compares to your 'careful' diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
It is a low carb approach which is successful for many people in reducing blood glucose and loosing weight.
Other approaches work for people as well, low calorie, shakes based but people have to find what suits them and is enjoyable and sustainable.

When you say careful with your diet, what exactly do you mean as many people think they are eating a healthy diet which it would be if not Type 2 diabetic but sadly is not so if you are. There is often too much emphasis on brown carbs and low fat whereas protein and healthy fats do not convert to glucose but ALL carbohydrates do.
Have a look at this link to see how it compares to your 'careful' diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
It is a low carb approach which is successful for many people in reducing blood glucose and loosing weight.
Other approaches work for people as well, low calorie, shakes based but people have to find what suits them and is enjoyable and sustainable.
Thankyou. Will bare this in mind.
Audrey

Sarah
Thankyou for the reply.
Hi, yes, you're right, I'm trying to lose weight loss to control my diabetes, though I'm on one metformin a day. I eat a low carb diet of 1500 calories a day, and will go up to 2000 calories when I've hit my target weight.
The reason I did the weight loss route was because I read a book on managing diabetes by Professor Roy Taylor which said if you lose 15kg (about 2 stone 5lbs), you can get your diabetes into remission. The information is here on the Newcastle University website if you're interested in finding out more, and some health authorities are offering a low calorie diet programme based on it. The research behind it all was paid for by Diabetes UK, and Roy Taylor has donated the proceeds of the book to Diabetes UK, so he's not making a profit off of it.
I've no idea if I've got remission or not, but I see the diabetes nurse on Wednesday and will find out what my HbA1c is now. Fingers crossed it's ok.
Fingers crossed for you too and I hope you get your medication sorted soon, Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back