Metformin Side effects - being cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tara C

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi - am newly diagnosed and been on metformin for just over 2 weeks (slow release now as the first ones really upset my tummy). My question is can they make you feel cold? I'm normally always in t-shirts as I have been in a medically induced menopause for 15 years for endometriosis so am ALWAYS hot. However, I am really cold at the minute and keep waking up shivering. Is this the drugs? I think I've had diabetes for a good while before diagnosis (without symptoms) so don't think its that that's made the difference.

Hello and welcome ! Have you been testing you BGs at home? Has there been a significant drop? Before my diagnosis I would sweat like a pig, but now I’m always cold. Also was your iron tested? sometimes anaemia can make you feel very cold, which I suppose is less likely if you no longer have your monthly visitors. Sorry to hear about your induced menopause, can be quite a shock to the system I hear xx

Hi Emma - not testing yet - nurse said I didn't really need to but think I might try soon. I am aparently the opposite of anemic (Polycythemia). The menopause symptoms are much better than the endometriosis pain.

I think most people on here would recommend testing. Doctors will often say not to, sometimes I don’t know if that’s because they can’t supply the equipment or they worry we find it too stressy. Did they tell you what your hba1c number was when you were diagnosed? If it was quite high you may have had a sudden drop. Ohh I’ve never heard of polycythemia, so defo not anemic. I have womb hyperplasia that’s being kept an eye on. Glad you got some relief x

I think most people on here would recommend testing. Doctors will often say not to, sometimes I don’t know if that’s because they can’t supply the equipment or they worry we find it too stressy. Did they tell you what your hba1c number was when you were diagnosed? If it was quite high you may have had a sudden drop. Ohh I’ve never heard of polycythemia, so defo not anemic. I have womb hyperplasia that’s being kept an eye on. Glad you got some relief x
No I'd not heard of Polycythemia either. Hope the hyperplasia stays in control.

As you have a condition which increases the number of red blood cells I wonder if you have had the most appropriate test for diabetes diagnosis as the HbA1C is not very accurate for people with various haemoglobinopathies. There is an alternative test you could have, fructosamine test I believe.

Has your thyroid been tested?

Underactive thyroid can make you feel cold and this can come along side with Diabetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back