Status
Not open for further replies.

geistartist

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hey all

I usually take 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg before bed, of Metformin.

Just now for some reason I blanked and forgot I had already taken this evening's so have now taken an extra 500g and I'm really worried about overdose reaction

Tia

Not ideal but I don't think there's any reason to be unduly concerned. An "overdose" of such proportions is highly unlikely to have a significant impact, so just resume your normal dose in the morning.

Hey all

I usually take 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg before bed, of Metformin.

Just now for some reason I blanked and forgot I had already taken this evening's so have now taken an extra 500g and I'm really worried about overdose reaction

Tia
Not a big deal - assuming actually 500mg rather than "500g" 🙂 For example, 2,500mg daily is a common dosage level.

I think you'd need to take 30-40 times usual dosage levels for any severe effects.

Don't worry about it, after around 2000mg increases in dose start to have little effect.

You may get an upset stomach for a day or so. I would not eat more carbs to compensate as metformin doesn't work like that.

Sorry to hear about your dose error @geistartist

Hopefully it won’t cause too much of a reaction. Have you got a glucose meter to keep an eye on your BG levels?

If you get any unusual sensations you could always talk things through with NHS111 to be on the safe side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back