Metformin or mcfarting a question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
When I was in hospital three and a half of weeks ago they stopped all my diabetic meds for about a week week and a half, Restarted them about a fortnight ago and since restarting the metformin I have had shall we say an unfortunate side effect, yep thats right I now know why some people call it mcfarting. Is it possible to get this effect after restarting it after such a short break?
gail:D

Having never taken it, I can't say Gail, but we'll make sure you don't stand near any naked flames at the forum meet! 😉

Having never taken it, I can't say Gail, but we'll make sure you don't stand near any naked flames at the forum meet! 😉

Thats a bit below the belt LOL I was thinking of bringing some pegs😱

Gail

Did you have a problem when you first started on them? If you did then it's likey yes even after a short break it can return.. If they are causing an expensive peg problem ask if they will swap you over to the slow release ones

I remember metformin with a shudder, I was put on it after being taken off insulin after my pregnacy (the consultant was convinced I was T2 not T1) told me that I might experience bottom rush for a couple of weeks as I settled on the medication... 'Bottom Rush' was a complete and utter understatment explotion was near the mark followed by encampment on the loo... To cut a long woeful story short, I ended up changing consultants who was completely gobsmacked by the phyiscal and mental state I was in.. And couldn't understand why my previous consultant didn't click that I had slow on set T1 diabetes😱

Hi Gail - unfortunately even after a small break you can get the symptoms. I don't know what dose you are on - but the advice I was given was to start on the smallest dose and to build it up over a few weeks to where you had been - it gives the body a bit of a chance to start tolerating it.

Did you have a problem when you first started on them? If you did then it's likey yes even after a short break it can return.. If they are causing an expensive peg problem ask if they will swap you over to the slow release ones

Yes I did have an issue when I first started on them. I do like your expression expensive peg problem it made me smile lol. Thankyou for taking the time to answer my question. margie Im on m/r 1000mg one twice a day

cheers
gail

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the side effects with metformin can start again even after a short break unfortunately. If they persist or are too much of a problem, see your doctor as slow release metformin has less side effects.

Metformin is pretty notorious for making people flatulent and have what my gp euphemistically refers to as 'gastric hurry'. My friend and I (who also takes Metformin ) call it 'Metformin's revenge'. A sort of medicinal version of 'Delhi belly'. It usually settles down but can be made worse by certain foods( different to each individual).

I'm on Metformin too 4 tabs of 5oo mg each a day) luckily though they are the longer acting type so don't have too much bother but I've found I daren't eat curry, chilli or onions!😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back