Metformin newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelaodp

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I was diagnosed with type 2 just over a year ago and have tried to manage it myself but have given in and started on Metformin two weeks ago
I've had really bad diarrhoea which seems to have slowed down now, also metallic taste in my mouth. The thing that's really bothering me is the extreme fatigue I have at the moment.
Had to stay off work due to diarrhoea but was hoping to go back tomorrow but all I want to do is stay in bed.
Anyone else had this, I was ok before I started Metformin, now I'm just so so tured

Hi @Angelaodp, metformin tummy is a well known problem, but it usually only lasts a couple of weeks. If it continues, you can ask your GP to prescribe a slow release version which is kinder on the tum. In my case it was 2 weeks to the day that it calmed down, but some people cannot tolerate it at all.
I've read on a recent post here that a metallic taste is also a known side effect. I can't confirm as I never got this, in fact I seem to have been very fortunate in the way my body has tolerated metformin.
Again, extreme fatigue could be a side effect if you're unlucky. I found that statins affected me in the same way so I stopped taking them. It would be worth a conversation with your GP to see if there is an alternative medication for you. I'm sure there will be other people along soon who will identify with the problems you are facing. 🙂

Hi. Yes do ask for the Slow Release (SR) version. The problem may clear up soon anyway but the SR should solve it. I had the metallic taste for 6 months when I started Metformin (SR). It slowly faded and that was 20 years ago and no problem since.

Sorry to hear you have been having a rough time with Metformin @Angelaodp

The gastric upheaval is a well known and common side effect in the beginning, but settles down and disappears fairly quickly for the vast majority of people (though it can be extremely unpleasant and distressing depending on severity). Taking met during a substantial, but fairly low carb, meal often helps. But as others have suggested the SR version may solve the problem.

Check the patient info leaflet in the carton about the possibility of tiredness as a side effect - that’s not one I see mentioned often.

Hope you can get back to work soon

Welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back